PDA

View Full Version : Legal question

mswengel
2010-07-23, 22:43
I'm a pretty computer-knowledgeable college student, and several people have asked me to fix their computers (general slowness / malware / etc). In (I think most of) these situations, I've used Spybot to scan for malware.

But now I'm reading that Spybot isn't free? Do I need to have some kind of special license to fix computers using Spybot?

I do get paid (usually) for fixing a computer. I don't fix many - just one every so often. I don't work in a shop or anything, and I've only charged for my time.

But my question is, have I broken the license agreement? Do I need a license to fix computers with this software? And if so, why is this not stated (as far as I can see) on the main website? (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html)

My impression has been that Spybot is free software for personal and commercial use.

lewisje
2010-07-24, 05:45
You aren't a corporation, just an individual

now you might be breaking the license if you download the free version and then deploy it across an organization and try to centrally manage it or something

also doesn't it take like half a day to use Spybot to hunt down malware? I only use it for immunization, and something else to actually get rid of stuff

drragostea
2010-07-28, 19:41
lewisje is correct. As long as you are not mass distributing this program across an office or business then you are good. Keep it mind it does not including installing Spybot onto Friend 1-10's PC. They all act as individuals. You do not need a license for your work.

lewisje, malware removal varies from how thorough the infection is.
Spybot is one program you can use to remove malware. However, it does not take half a day. That would be too long.