PDA

View Full Version : TeaTimer blocking Windows Update?

koge.man
2006-07-17, 15:23
When I open Windows Update in IE the "Checking..." page doesn't finish loading until I disable TeaTimer. Similarly, Windows Update doesn't start downloads while Resident is active. Any ideas about this problem?

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-17, 17:44
koge.man:

I don't know what could possibly be causing the problem.

The only interaction that I am aware of between Windows Update and TeaTimer (besides them both accessing the system registry) is when the ActiveX control for the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool is first downloaded to the system.

ActiveX control:

{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool)
In my case the download of the ActiveX control for the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool happened a year ago when I had a disk drive failure and had to replace the drive. I received a TeaTimer pop-up dialog message similar to the following to which I replied "Allow change":

Category: ActiveX Distribution Unit!
Change: Value Added
Entry: 17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700
The event is recorded in the Resident log as:

7/28/2005 7:57:06 PM Allowed value "{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}" (new data: "") added in ActiveX Distribution Unit!
After updates have been received and are being applied there can be other interactions with TeaTimer because the update itself may modify the registry and stimulate TeaTimer.

What OS are you running?

Please go into Spybot > Help > About. What version of Spybot - Search & Destroy are you running?

Are you getting any TeaTimer messages?

Also please go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident. Look for any events around the times you encountered these problems.

Note there is also an ActiveX control for Office updates:

{3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE} (Office Update Installation Engine)

launchdriverjon
2006-07-17, 21:29
I had this problem a while back and the only solution I could find at the time was to remove Teatimer. After this everything worked fine.

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-18, 00:03
launchdriverjon:

It appears to me that koge.man (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=9326
) is aware that by disabling TeaTimer they are able to get around the problem with Windows Update. It also appears to me that they are attempting to understand and hopefully resolve the problem so that they can continue to successfully do Windows Updates while taking advantage of the protection that Spybot's TeaTimer provides.

I personally am perplexed by the problem and seriously doubt that I can help resolve the problem having not experienced it firsthand. Perhaps you can share what other solutions you attempted before concluding:

… the only solution I could find at the time was to remove Teatimer.