PDA

View Full Version : Question about possible infection

Mikazo
2010-08-08, 00:16
Hello there. I have been getting some random clicking noises (i.e. the sound IE makes when browsing, although I do not use IE), as well as a few odd sounds that do not have any discernible source. I am suspecting possible malware on my PC.

Now instead of going to all the trouble to hunt down and delete the stuff (assuming it is there), I am considering simply backing up my important documents and doing a fresh install of Windows. I have been needing to do this for a while anyway.

However my concern is that the process of backing up files may carry the virus over onto the separate hard drive I will be using. So: would it be safer and advisable to get rid of any offending spyware first *before* backing up important data, most of which consists of simple word documents and music? If yes I can go ahead and run the appropriate programs and post the log files on here. Please let me know first what to do.

Thanks very much in advance.

tashi
2010-08-08, 01:40
Hello Mikazo,

However my concern is that the process of backing up files may carry the virus over onto the separate hard drive I will be using. So: would it be safer and advisable to get rid of any offending spyware first *before* backing up important data, most of which consists of simple word documents and music? If yes I can go ahead and run the appropriate programs and post the log files on here.

As malware behavior varies helpers wouldn't be able to advise without having a log to analyze. :)

If the computer does appear to be infected see this forum's FAQ to post a preliminary DDS log: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then start a new topic and a volunteer analyst will advise you when available.

Best regards.