PDA

View Full Version : spybot & IE8

Pimpin
2010-09-07, 20:59
back than when IE8 was just released, i tried it out , but

when i luanched it was very slow i didnt knew what cause this

but i realised it was because the huge list of the restricted sites (which turned out IE8 cant handle it like his pops IE7)

when i reundo the immune of spybot & spywareblaster

IE8 was openning very fast, ...

but i didnt want to give up on the protection so i stay with IE7, until the fix or something

what i wnat to know now is can i after like 1 year use IE8, did spybot fix the problem????

lewisje
2010-09-08, 08:40
It was a problem with IE8, and it was fixed more than a year ago; however, every single entry that Spybot makes to the Restricted Sites list is also added in the HOSTS file immunization, so enabling Restricted Sites protection ("Domains" and "Secure Domains") doesn't have any extra effect because the HOSTS file immunization will keep those domains from even loading, let alone running active content.

Gopher John
2010-09-08, 15:44
See Internet Explorer 8 issues (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2009-03-25.html)

Microsoft KB969897 fixed the large hosts file and restricted sites problem.

Pimpin
2010-09-09, 19:52
It was a problem with IE8, and it was fixed more than a year ago; however, every single entry that Spybot makes to the Restricted Sites list is also added in the HOSTS file immunization, so enabling Restricted Sites protection ("Domains" and "Secure Domains") doesn't have any extra effect because the HOSTS file immunization will keep those domains from even loading, let alone running active content.

i understand from u that its enough to enable the "HOSTS file" protection

because its the same as the "restricted sites" protection???

See Internet Explorer 8 issues (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2009-03-25.html)

Microsoft KB969897 fixed the large hosts file and restricted sites problem.

can you tell me how to get it working

i mean what is the procedure ??

iam guessing its something like this, but please correct me if needed or add .

1.disable spybot &s spywareblaster immunization

2.install IE8

3.update through windows update

4.enable spybot & spywareblaster immunization

Gopher John
2010-09-09, 21:39
i mean what is the procedure ??

iam guessing its something like this, but please correct me if needed or add .

1.disable spybot &s spywareblaster immunization

2.install IE8

3.update through windows update

4.enable spybot & spywareblaster immunization

That should work. Just be sure that Microsoft KB969897 is included in the updates. FWIW, I use the full immunization including restricted sites in IE8 of SpyBot Search & Destroy and SpywareBlaster. I'm having no problems with Firefox 3.6.9, Opera 10.62, nor IE 8.0.6001.18702.

lewisje
2010-09-10, 16:18
That should work. Just be sure that Microsoft KB969897 is included in the updates. FWIW, I use the full immunization including restricted sites in IE8 of SpyBot Search & Destroy and SpywareBlaster. I'm having no problems with Firefox 3.6.9, Opera 10.62, nor IE 8.0.6001.18702.The "restricted sites" immunization only affects IE; personally I've only noticed substantial slowdown when I tried adding the IE-SPYAD list, which is much larger than what Spybot adds.