PDA

View Full Version : How can a registry key with no program associated be malware?

Klawdek
2010-10-01, 22:34
Spybot found the following key and removed it:

Fraud.Sysguard: [SBI $F62BE2C3] Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1844237615-764733703-682003330-1003\Software\SolutionAV

Now it does not look like a system key i.e something that adjusts windows properties.

And no mention is made of needing to remove any accompanying software. So how could a simple key entry like this be harmful?

I have done some more research while typing this and the key is associated with antivir a malware fraud scam. I had this on my system a while back and resolved it by noticing that it took a few seconds after boot up for antivir to run and start blocking access to all programs. During this time I ran spybot and it cleared it up. I then DLed Avira (the legitimate one) and ran it as well. It found a number of things and quarantined them (it does not seem to be capable of removing anything it can only quarantine things)

Was Fraud.Sysguard completely removed?

I have looked up ways to remove all aspects of this program and it seems like the instructions were written by the same people who wrote the malware. All instructions I found just said remove the malicious exe, dll, and key entries with no explanation of what files these are, or where they are.

I just want to know did spybot remove everything. If not does anyone know of a site that does give detailed instructions for its removal?

I have seen some other posts here such as:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=58134&highlight=Fraud.Sysguard

Were Shelf Life gives tha advice to DL Malwarebytes and RootRepeal I will do this and run them to be safe. That post is quite old does spybot now do a complete removal?

tashi
2010-10-02, 00:17
I just want to know did spybot remove everything. If not does anyone know of a site that does give detailed instructions for its removal?

I have seen some other posts here such as:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=58134&highlight=Fraud.Sysguard

Were Shelf Life gives tha advice to DL Malwarebytes and RootRepeal I will do this and run them to be safe. That post is quite old does spybot now do a complete removal?
If you would like someone to take a look at the system please see the FAQ which also includes instructions on posting a preliminary DDS.txt log:

"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then start a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) and a volunteer analyst will advise you when available.

FYI,

Note that all instructions given are customized for that member's personal computer only, the tools used may cause damage if run on a machine with different specs/infections. Please do not take fixes given to another user and apply to your own machine.Best regards. :)

Klawdek
2010-10-02, 04:03
When I started this post I intended to only ask if a registry key that is not a windows XP key and the associated software is not present, could somehow affect the system?

While typing the message I started looking things up and the questioned got more complex.

I also want to know if the current version of SpyBot completely removes Fraud.Sysguard?

I do not believe that those questions require the posting of a DDS.txt log, in fact such a posting in my circumstance would violate the very rules you referred to as I am not having any signs of infection at this time.

Sorry my original post was so confusing:oops:

BTW this forum has cool icons for posting:2thumb:

tashi
2010-10-02, 17:47
Hello Klawdek,
Spybot found the following key and removed it:

Fraud.Sysguard: [SBI $F62BE2C3] Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1844237615-764733703-682003330-1003\Software\SolutionAV

(Registry key, nothing done)

Was Fraud.Sysguard completely removed?
<snip>

When I started this post I intended to only ask if a registry key that is not a windows XP key and the associated software is not present, could somehow affect the system?
Without seeing a log all would be guessing. ;)