PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus Software has been shut down/won't start

NoPetrol
2010-10-03, 05:49
My computer has been taking a while to start up and is a lot slower than usual. I decided to check if this is being caused by a virus so I went to open AVG. The AVG interface informed me that "no AVG components are running". I could also not initiate a scan with AVG; the full computer scan window was blank. I proceeded to uninstall AVG and, after reading independent reviews that informed me that McAfee was better (less false negatives), proceeded to download McAfee from my university. I installed McAfee, but no components will start. I tried reinstalling it. Didn't work. When I double click on any of the McAfee components, the mouse shows an hourglass for a few seconds, but no program opens. I tried starting McAfee in safe mode. Still would not start. I read that there are such things as viruses that prevent antivirus software from starting. I tried running an online virus scanner, BitDefender, which found nothing. I also tried running rkill.exe, which doesn't seem to be stopping any processes, and the anti-virus software still won't run after that.

I am running Windows XP 32 bit professional version 2002 service pack 3.

tashi
2010-10-03, 18:09
Hello NoPetrol,

Please see the forum FAQ which also includes instructions on posting a preliminary DDS log: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then start a new topic, copy paste the DDS.txt log into it and a volunteer analyst will advise you when available. :)

If DDS won't run please start a new topic anyway informing of the issue.

Best regards.