PDA

View Full Version : Computer really messed up! Please Help...

abhigley
2010-10-07, 00:21
I'm trying to help a neighbor with their laptop that appears to have some very nasty malware on it. I"m posting this thread from my own laptop since I can't get theirs to open a browser window to the internet.

When I first got their computer, it had the AntiSpy Safeguard window that would pop up on bootup. After some research on the internet, I was able to remove it so that it won't pop up when the computer is rebooted.

Then I tried to install Spybot S&D from a USB thumb drive, but when I tried to run it, it just shut down and any attempt to run the program again resulted in a message saying that it couldn't be found. It was totally disabled by some still-resident malware. I tried the same thing with Malwarebytes' AntiMalware program and it was also disabled before it could run anything.

This is my first time posting anything like this and upon reading the initial information, decided to post this thread first before trying to download ERUNT and DDS onto a USB thumb drive and trying to run it on the infected laptop (Compaq). Besides, if I can't open a browser, how will I effectively copy and paste any results from those programs into this thread?

How do I proceed from here?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Blade81
2010-10-11, 16:32
This is my first time posting anything like this and upon reading the initial information, decided to post this thread first before trying to download ERUNT and DDS onto a USB thumb drive and trying to run it on the infected laptop (Compaq).
You can transfer logs with USB drive and then post back their contents.

abhigley
2010-10-11, 22:06
No luck with DDS. I ran the ERUNT program fine, but when I tried to run DDS it opened with window with the few lines of instruction, but then it just closes the window and nothing else happens. I am running AVG Free and am unable to even open the AVG User Interface. It doesn't ever open up either. Should I try to run DDS in Safe Mode?

Blade81
2010-10-12, 06:47
Hi,

Please download exeHelper (http://www.raktor.net/exeHelper/exeHelper.com) to your desktop.
Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
Post the contents of log.txt (Will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com)
Note: If the window shows a message that says Error deleting file, please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together (they will both be in the one file).

See if you're able to run DDS after that.

Blade81
2010-10-18, 21:09
Are you still there?

Blade81
2010-10-24, 10:03
Due to inactivity, this thread will now be closed.

Note:If it has been three days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh DDS log and a link to your previous thread. Please do not add any logs that might have been requested in the closed topic, you would be starting fresh.

If it has been less than three days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or other MOD a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.