PDA

View Full Version : Search & Destroy freezes at same point.

Maryemm
2005-11-26, 00:37
Some months ago my S&D programme stopped working. It froze at this point:

6683/31725 cool www search

I finally had to uninstall the programme as i had to switch off my PC after each "freezing".

Now some months later I have reinstalled S&D as I like the programme very much. The same thing has happened.

I cannot understand why, after months of trouble-free working, it started with this problem and it is evidently still there.

Please, can anyone tell me how to put this right?
My thanks in advance.

tashi
2005-11-26, 08:05
Hello Maryemm.
Please open Spybot>Help>About

Let us know the version, latest detection update and your operating system.

Cheers.

Maryemm
2005-11-26, 12:55
I forgot all that in my panic!! :)

Windows XP (Home Edition)
S&D 1.4

Zone Alarm
AVG Anti-Virus

Scan Spyware
CWShredder
Spyware Guard
spyward blaster

I only uploaded the last four after Ad aware SE and SpyBot stopped working.I am very aware that one needs anti-spyware programmes on a PC.
I would prefer S&D and AdAware which worked perfectly for a long time. Only wish I had taken note of new programmes installed then! Could have co-incidd with the time I signed up with Broadband....??

150 Baker
2005-11-29, 08:36
I have had that same problem now for about two weeks with no known fix. If you solve this issue let me know. Stuck at CoolWWWSearch

LonnyRJones
2005-11-29, 09:51
Hi

Scan Spyware is on the rouge list i believe
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Both of you should get a checkup in our malware section
Get atleast one free online scan and then post a hijackthis log
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

kaylasdad99
2005-11-29, 19:07
Hi

Scan Spyware is on the rouge list i believe
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Both of you should get a checkup in our malware section
Get atleast one free online scan and then post a hijackthis log
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288This sounds a lot like the problem I posted in this thread, (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=644) yesterday (although I have no knowldege of this Scan Spyware of which you speak). Should I follow these instructions as well?

Thank you kindly.

P.S. If I should follow these instructions, could you please direct me to a site that will make a free onlline scan available to me?

LonnyRJones
2005-11-30, 01:03
Hi Provided you already have SpyBot 1.4 fallow that second link, severall online scans are mentioned there.

Regards

150 Baker
2005-11-30, 21:46
I may have found a solution @ www.trendmicro.com. I downloded a program called c.w.shreader @ trend micro, it can be found under spyware removal. This should be run in the safe mode which I could not do to for I could not adjust my screen resolution. So I ran it as a desk top item. To fully utilize this though you will need to run it in the safe mode. I am not a administrator nor a computer guru. But it did allow me to run my Spybot scan. If run in the safe mode it suspodely removes all CoolWWWSearch files. My understanding of the person that wrote this CW shredder is that he got so frustrated with this tracker he spent quite abit of time writing this program and then sold it to Trend micro. Good Luck

b0ttt
2005-12-01, 05:49
I freeze too

so I post a hijackthis log for what?

Maryemm
2005-12-06, 00:06
I have been away and have not had access to a PC so this is the first chance to read the above postings.

I see quite afew of us have this problem and I can`t believe we all have infected PC`s!

I have had my HiJack files checked elsewhere and all seems well. I have been able to download AdAware SE and it works now. I have deleted some of my anti Spyware programmes as I discovered on other URL that these programmes actually installed some "spyware"!!

I tried several anti spyware programmes and these reported Aurora amongst other nasties. HOWEVER........ the "scum" URL accuses these of listing "positive" results that are untrue. I checked all my files and found this to be true.

I still have Scan Spyware installed as the "scum" URL said it did not have enough information about this programme. I will uninstall it now that AdAware works agian.

Strange isn`t it, that SpyBot stops at certain spots. Can`t the programmers come up with some ideas?

My thanks for the help given here.

johnspot
2006-12-24, 22:22
I thought I might throw this info in, I have just done a clean install of XP Pro, and find that when I install version 1,4, and do the update from 22nd December it freezes when I check for problems, as I have barely been on the net for a few minutes, let alone browse I cannot see how I could be infected.

I tried it on both patched, and unpatched XP service pack 2, safe mode, and in safe mode it seems to happen immediately, not even reaching 200 intems in the scan.

As I have used I have used Spybot Search & Destroy since version 1.2, this is most probably the second time there has been a problem, ever!

I notice for some the problem started in November.

Is it hardware related, as I have installed xp on many sytems, and installed Spybot S & D on many of them?

As I am installing it on a SIS (661) chipset motherboard, Maxtor 40gb hdd, Intel 3.0gHz P4, 512 MB ddr ram, is this the common factor. I have checked another SIS chipset (760) motherboard that is running version 1.4 on xp home with older signature file from 3rd November, will update and see what happens, if it freezes I will post an update on this.

johnspot
2006-12-24, 22:34
I thought I might throw this info in, I have just done a clean install of XP Pro, and find that when I install version 1,4, and do the update from 22nd December it freezes when I check for problems, as I have barely been on the net for a few minutes, let alone browse I cannot see how I could be infected.

I tried it on both patched, and unpatched XP service pack 2, safe mode, and in safe mode it seems to happen immediately, not even reaching 200 intems in the scan.

As I have used I have used Spybot Search & Destroy since version 1.2, this is most probably the second time there has been a problem, ever!

I notice for some the problem started in November.

Is it hardware related, as I have installed xp on many sytems, and installed Spybot S & D on many of them?

As I am installing it on a SIS (661) chipset motherboard, Maxtor 40gb hdd, Intel 3.0gHz P4, 512 MB ddr ram, is this the common factor. I have checked another SIS chipset (760) motherboard that is running version 1.4 on xp home with older signature file from 3rd November, will update and see what happens, if it freezes I will post an update on this.

johnspot
2006-12-25, 00:11
OOPS!!!

Twice!!!

My investigations are over, good ol' P4, and hyperthreading!!!

Bummer no fix, and have to reset affinity everytime.

Hurry up and transfer over to new development tools seeing Borland don't want to fix their bug.

Must remember if they do a proper job they will not be able to sell upgrades, because 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' will come into play!!!

bitman
2006-12-25, 06:23
My investigations are over, good ol' P4, and hyperthreading!!!

Bummer no fix, and have to reset affinity everytime.

See my post in this other thread that explains how to perform a patch on the SpybotSD.exe file that will make a permanent change to that copy of the file.

Permanent Affinity setting for Spybot S&D hang on HTT (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=1045#post1045)

A new version is coming, but may still be a few weeks off. The fix I posted in the other thread will hold you over til then if you wish.

Bitman