PDA

View Full Version : useless with computers, need help

displayname
2010-10-21, 16:41
Hello,

I have a laptop running Windows xp which is infected with Win32.AutoRun.tmp

Nothing seems to be able to erase it, it keeps coming back up and keeps directly browser to health product websites.
I tried following an earlier suggested course of action but the programme said it was incompadible as i didn't have Windows xp, but i do. The machine is always running near processing capacity no matter what we close.

Please help. what can we do to fix this?

Much thanks to everone,

Amanda:thanks::sad:

tashi
2010-10-21, 18:15
Hello Amanda,

I tried following an earlier suggested course of action but the programme said it was incompadible as i didn't have Windows xp, but i do. The machine is always running near processing capacity no matter what we close.

Preliminary question before sending you to start a new topic. ;)

Which program and is this your own personal computer?

Cheers.

displayname
2010-10-22, 00:47
Preliminary question before sending you to start a new topic. ;)

Which program and is this your own personal computer?

Cheers.

Hi, not actually Amanda anymore - she's asked me to take over describing what's going on (I'm her husband)!

She downloaded dds.scr from Bleepingcomputer.com in the hope that it would get rid of the problem, and apparently couldn't get it to run. However, I think dds.scr just retrieves a list of the diagnostics of the PC rather than actually doing anything (correct me if I'm wrong - I may be!)

For my part, I've tried to erase the trojan with Spybot Search and Destroy (which says it's removed it, but it's back again within a matter of minutes), Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition (fully updated and our main source of protection, but it won't acknowledge the trojan at all), Malwarebytes anti-malware, and TDSSKiller (again, nothing found). It's got me nowhere. I'm not particularly PC-literate, but I've usually managed to zap trojans and viruses in the past without too many issues, but this one just won't budge.

This is Amanda's computer - and mine, technically speaking - and it's running Windows XP.

Thanks for your help - if you need any other info please let me know. I may be a little slow to reply which I apologise for, but I'm at work all day. Still, the weekend looms!

tashi
2010-10-22, 01:45
Hello,

Thank you for the information. :) Is this a personal computer, as you do say, the Corporate Edition of Symantec Antivirus is installed.

Best regards.

displayname
2010-10-22, 14:08
Hello,

It is a personal computer, laptop used for web browsing and music, not much else. It has Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition, which has 2 items in quarantine and all it's updates, but has never found Win32.Autorun.tmp.

Thanks

A

tashi
2010-10-22, 18:00
Hello,

Please see the forum FAQ which also includes instructions on posting a preliminary DDS log: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then start a new topic and a volunteer analyst will advise you when available.

Best regards.