PDA

View Full Version : Browser Helper to block bad downloads is not installed

mypenry
2006-07-23, 11:23
IH , this is my first post so this may sound a dumb question, Ive just had a new computer ( computer Newbie ) and installed Spybot Search & Destroy V.1.4 and every thing's working OK, but ive just noticed that on the immunize page at the bottom it say's ....Browser Helper to block bad downloads is NOT installed and when I tick .... the Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet explorer nothing happens..?

advice please most welocme

Thanks Mypenry

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-23, 14:07
Are you attempting to check "Enable Permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer" while logged on to a "Computer administrator" account? If not:
Log on to a "Computer administrator" account and try again.
Are you running any software that blocks the installation of Internet Explorer Browser Helper Objects (BHOs)? If so:
You must allow the installation of the BHO.
If you still can not activate the BHO:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy. Verify that the SDHelper.dll file is present.

mypenry
2006-07-23, 15:17
HI ...md usa spybot fan,

Thanks for your reply,

to answer your questions..

A.....Are you attempting to check "Enable Permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer" while logged on to a "Computer administrator" account? If not: answer ......yes

B. ...Are you running any software that blocks the installation of Internet Explorer Browser Helper Objects (BHOs)? If so:
You must allow the installation of the BHO.

Answer ..ive checked and cannot see any thing trying to block the installation of Internet Explorer Browser Helper Objects (BHOs)

C.....If you still can not activate the BHO:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy. .......Verify that the SDHelper.dll file is present.

Answer.....

I checked .....C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.

and can only see the following ...dll ..

ZipDll.dll
Tools.dll
delphimm.dll
aports.dll
borlndmm.dll
advcheck.dii
dummy.cd.clint.dll

but no SDHelper.dll file ...?

any ideas now please...?

Thanks ...... Mypenry

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-23, 17:00
mypenry:

Download the following file:
http://www.safer-networking.org/files/sdhelper14.zip
Unzip (extract) it into:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Then go into Spybot > Immunize and try to check "Enable Permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer" again.

Important note: The SDHelper.dll file has been know to have been deleted in the past by malware to prevent the enabling of Spybot's resident "SDHelper". If the file gets deleted again or you suspect that it may have been deleted by malware originally, please do not hesitate to post in the Malware Removal forum and have one of the helpers there take a look at your system. To post in the Malware Removal forum, follow the instructions here:
BEFORE you POST. Preliminary Steps. Please READ to avoid assistance being delayed
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
Then post here:
Malware Removal
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

mypenry
2006-07-24, 16:18
...md usa spybot fan ... thanks again for your time in posting to me,

I will give your advice a go and post how I get on...?

Thanks for your advice ....Mypenry

mypenry
2006-07-25, 16:55
Hi md usa spybot fan..

followed your advice...spot on !!!

Thanks you are a star !!

Mypenry ....