PDA

View Full Version : Spybot Automatically Scans Video Files on Opening

WayneR
2010-11-16, 00:02
I am a longtime Spybot user. Since installing last Wednesday's update (Nov 10, 2010) every time I open a video file (*.avi, *.wmv, *.mpg etc) Spybot begins to scan the file automatically, as if I had asked it to scan. I did not. Does anyone else have this problem? I run XP SP2 on an Intel 2.4Ghz box and have never had difficulty with S&D.

Thank you

Wayne R

spybotsandra
2010-11-16, 11:48
Hello,

To disable the single files scan please open the registry editor by:
(a)
press windowskey + r then enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)
or
(b)
click on "start" , then "run" and enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)

(a+b)
and then browse to the following path.

Please delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\sdfiles
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\sdfiles

For more information, please have a look at this link (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30678).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

WayneR
2010-11-16, 22:05
Hello Sandra:

Thank you for a timely reply and your advise. You said:

S> To disable the single files scan please open the registry editor by:
(a) press windowskey + r then enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)
or ...[monster clip]

I prefer not to alter my registry unless there is no other solution. Rather than delete a registry entry, I checked my file TOOLS----> FOLDER OPTIONS----> FILE TYPES and noticed that *.wmv files lost their association with VLC Media player, which I use, and had associated all video files with, as a default video viewer. I simply created two new file types (WMV and AVI) and reassociated them with VLC, solving the problem.

I have no idea how the video files became disassociated from VLC since they have been working beautifully for several years.

It was only after downloading/installing Spybot's update that instead of VLC opening my videos, Spybot scanned them. I suspect this phenomena is not coincidence. But it the computer world, anything is possible.:)

Thank you for your time.

WayneR