PDA

View Full Version : All mail, contacts etc. deleted from Microsoft Outlook

problems
2010-11-22, 11:01
Basically i was running Spybot S+D on my dads computer and when checking for problems, it found some things which needed fixing. I couldn't fix one of the files so i looked through this forum to find out how to remove it. The recommendation here was to delete all temporary files by "chopping away" using Spybot.

I have previously done this on my computer and had no problems at all. However i do not use Outlook. So when i did on my dads computer i didn't expect any damage or anything to be caused. Now when i restarted my dads computer, things such as internet favourites were reordered alphabetically, homepage was changed for internet explorer. This is all ok and easily fixable.

I then go on Outlook to find that my dads not logged in and there are no emails or contacts or anything. He logs in and for some reason no emails or contacts are coming up, and Outlook is treating him like a new user with welcome emails etc.

Could the clearing of temporary internet files by Spybot deleted all of my dads emails and contacts? Or am i doing something wrong when i am trying to access Outlook?

Thanks so much in advance!!!!!!!!! :oops:

spybotsandra
2010-11-22, 11:11
Hello,

I am sorry, but this can't be caused by our software.
Spybot - Search & Destroy has no effect on the mailsystem at all.

Bets regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

problems
2010-11-22, 11:24
What I did is to chop away temporary Internet files using spybot. Do emails on outlook count as temporary Internet files?

spybotsandra
2010-11-22, 11:37
Hello,

I do not think so.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Stevinoz
2014-01-16, 02:25
Hello,

I am sorry, but this can't be caused by our software.
Spybot - Search & Destroy has no effect on the mailsystem at all.

Bets regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

sorry but this has happened to me as well, spybot found some things in my outlook data file and deleted them on the last scan, I didn't think it would delete the whole file but on my next reboot both outlook.pst and 2 saved pst archives were gone.
spybot home edition+av2.2 with purchased licence.
What a nightmare to then join this forum, having to recover a backup of pst files 2 days old then wade through all the email (lucky I keep it on the server for a few days), then check my sync where I noticed that after the scan it had sync'd with my phone deleting all my appointments for the next 2 months, then get the confirmation email from this forum. :mad:

Steve McRae
2014-01-17, 23:10
In spite of the rather curt response others have received, as a result of running S & D on my Windows 7 Laptop with M.S. Outlook 2010, I DID LOSE ALL MY .pst files!!!! This happened six weeks ago but I associated it with another issue with my
smart phone and AT & T service. I was wrong. Yesterday before running S & D I was using my "rebuilt" Outlook files to
successfully send and receive emails. I thought that I would go and eat. So for about 40 minutes Spybot ran a system check
and I clicked to resolve all issues and then I did a quarantine. I then clicked on my Outlook tab and got the message that the
documents xxx.pst cannot be found. This is an absolute NIGHTMARE. I have lost Decades of Contacts! I have lost several thousand saved emails. All my appointments and numerous Tasks....What kind of Mahem have you sold me???

Stevinoz
2014-01-19, 02:22
In spite of the rather curt response others have received, as a result of running S & D on my Windows 7 Laptop with M.S. Outlook 2010, I DID LOSE ALL MY .pst files!!!! This happened six weeks ago but I associated it with another issue with my
smart phone and AT & T service. I was wrong. Yesterday before running S & D I was using my "rebuilt" Outlook files to
successfully send and receive emails. I thought that I would go and eat. So for about 40 minutes Spybot ran a system check
and I clicked to resolve all issues and then I did a quarantine. I then clicked on my Outlook tab and got the message that the
documents xxx.pst cannot be found. This is an absolute NIGHTMARE. I have lost Decades of Contacts! I have lost several thousand saved emails. All my appointments and numerous Tasks....What kind of Mahem have you sold me???

Hi Steve, I don't think anyone is looking at this thread, I'm going to make a new thread with similar topic, I also have copied parts of previous scan log to include, found under Systen Scan menu/show previous logs.

Cheers, Steve. :cowboy:

backup backup backup, I use a small batch file script, on boot up copy *.pst to cloud folder (like dropbox 5g, copy 15g or box 50g) that's on another computer. Go here http://aplus.com.au/downloads/ for a free script and link to Copy. :cool:

(m/f)
2014-02-06, 14:42
Here is the link to the new thread: new thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?70042-All-Outlook-mail-contacts-etc-deleted-by-Spybot2-2). I will continue updating there. When this thread was started, there was no AV, so this probably was a different issue.