PDA

View Full Version : Silent blocking not working

gavinm
2006-07-24, 14:05
Despite following the advice to activate silent blocking in the Immunize section, I'm still getting boxes popping up on my desktop telling me that exe files have been terminated because they were on the blacklist.

If not through silent blocking in the Immunize section, how do I prevent these notifications from continually popping up?

I'd be grateful for anyone's advice.

Gavin

spybotsandra
2006-07-24, 14:19
Hello,

You are talking about notifications from the resident TeaTimer.
This is seperate from the immunization and has nothing to do with it.

The reason why TeaTimer asked you is because it would ask you about any similar changes in the registry without regarding if it is good or bad.
There are so many registry keys that it is impossible to classify them by default. So the user has to decide if he wants to allow it or not.
The TeaTimer is making snapshot files when you start it the first time and the tool is comparing the current registry with the snapshot files.
If you want to make a new snapshot files please shutdown the TeaTimer with the Resident icon and then start it manually from the Spybot S&D program folder.
There is no possibility yet to hide the popups which remind you which keys are blocked. As a workaround, you can only make new snap shot files.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

gavinm
2006-07-24, 15:02
Thanks very much, Sandra.

Sorry for asking more questions, but I'm not very technical...

First of all, Tea Timer isn't asking me anything. The only communication I'm getting from it is the pop-up notifications. Is that how things should be?

Secondly, I'm afraid i don't know what snapshot files are, or registry keys...

I wouldn't mind about the Teatimer pop-ups except for the fact that each time one appears (every other second) my cursor is momentarily disabled by the hourglass appearing. Very very irritating, as you can imagine. What is the best way around this?

If it is to make new snapshot files as you said, I don't seem able to open up the Tea Timer icon in the program file - it has a padlock on it.

thanks again for any advice you can offer.

Gavin

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-24, 16:52
gavinm:

… I'm still getting boxes popping up on my desktop telling me that exe files have been terminated because they were on the blacklist.
The fact that you are getting notifications concerning blacklisted items without getting an answerable dialog first indicates that that you previously received a dialog and answered it with either "Automatically kill this process" or "Deny change" with "Remember this decision" which tells TeaTimer to no longer issue the answerable dialog and to take the same action on future detections/changes.

I wouldn't mind about the Teatimer pop-ups except for the fact that each time one appears (every other second) …
Whatever you did appears to have caused a loop.

Stopping TeaTimer will fix the problem not because the snapshot files are refreshed but because without TeaTimer running whatever TeaTimer was blocking will no longer be blocked.

To stop TeaTimer:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon (the lock symbol is just part of the icon and does not mean it is locked preventing using it) > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
How we have to figure out what the cause of the problem was and how to proceed:
Go into Spybot > Mode (tool bar) > select Advanced Mode (answer Yes to the warning message if necessary) > Tools (left pane) > Resident (right pane) > page (scroll) to the bottom of the listing and highlight a portion of the log that covers the period of time when you were getting the TeaTimer notifications, then right click and select Copy (which will copy the highlighted portion of the log to the clipboard). Paste the log entries to another post in this thread.