PDA

View Full Version : CleanUp / Debug Tools - is there a source of general info?

steve333
2010-11-26, 20:50
Browsing the posts here I notice mention of some handy tools, for helping people debug/fix infected machines.

I found a helpful reference to "ERUNT" in the "BEFORE you POST" note.
But I also saw references to various other tools, with rather cryptic names (and long pages of output which I honestly didn't investigate in detail ....)

Is there a place where I can find a summary of the tools which you experts would recommend?
Maybe with short notes about what they do / what they are good for?
(Sorry if there is one which I have missed).

I don't have any particular problem at present so it's not an urgent issue for me, but it's always handy to know which tools are worth trying .....

I'm thinking of some information which can be used by a reasonably knowledgable person (eg. I've edited the registry and done my share of poking around in XP....)

Many thanks,
Steve

tashi
2010-11-26, 21:30
Hello steve333,

Browsing the posts here I notice mention of some handy tools, for helping people debug/fix infected machines.

I found a helpful reference to "ERUNT" in the "BEFORE you POST" note.
But I also saw references to various other tools, with rather cryptic names (and long pages of output which I honestly didn't investigate in detail ....)
All in the malware removal forum and any that you can name in particular?

Best regards. :)

steve333
2010-11-26, 23:28
Hi Tashi,

I was just browsing through the malware forum and saw some names (DDS, OTL ...) which seem to come up quite often - sorry I can't remember exactly which posts. And typically I can't find the particular posts again ....

I just thought that there might be a thread / page which already existed with some of the best suggestions for useful tools (like the thread which I found with a discussion of AntiVirus products).

I'll have another browse and make some notes myself if there's no information already present.

Thanks,
Steve