PDA

View Full Version : Quick Questions on Virtumond.dll -remove or not??

swonderbin
2010-12-02, 13:01
Hi
I have been infected with the Virtumonde.dll trojan and cant get rid of it using spybot. I have tried 3 times. It is not a false positive as the PC is playing up (and I have to use my works PC to access this forum). Before I (possibly) start the long process of trying to disinfect if some one can please answer the following questions it would be helpful.

1/ If I re-install windows from the OEM copy on the hard drive will this eliminate the trojan? (or does the trojan go deep enough to infect from there) . I usually re-install windows every couple of years anyway to refresh the system and it is just about due.

2/ Any special precautions I should take doing this ?

3/ If I connect any external hardrives will they be infected?
(there are some files I still want to get off the hard drive, and luckily none of my externals have been connected for a while)

If anyone knows the quick answer to these it would be greatly appreciated so I dont take up to much time trying to disinfect if I dont have to. Any quick reply would be appreciated as I have now been without my PC for 6 days.

In advance - Thank You
Steve :thanks:

tashi
2010-12-02, 17:39
Duplicate topic in the malware forum: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=390093 :)