PDA

View Full Version : When Spybot

welshpaul23
2010-12-07, 23:58
Hi - first-time poster - probably a very newbie question but when Spybot shows "running bot-check xxxx/yyyyyy" and lists a peice of malware (e.g. virtumonde) in the progress bar does this mean it's running a detection pattern to see if that malware is on my computer?

I presume if the malware was on my computer bot-check would list it when the check finishes?

Apologies if the answer to this has already been posted (& for how daft it probably sounds to experienced users) but I'm just after some reassurance.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Will def be making a donation as soon as I've got some spare cash!

tashi
2010-12-08, 02:40
Hello welshpaul23 :welcome:

when Spybot shows "running bot-check xxxx/yyyyyy" and lists a peice of malware (e.g. virtumonde) in the progress bar does this mean it's running a detection pattern to see if that malware is on my computer?
Correct, during the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar in the lower left hand corner of the screen shows what Spybot-S&D is checking for.

I presume if the malware was on my computer bot-check would list it when the check finishes?

Yes, when the scan completes the results are displayed.

Hope that helps. :)

welshpaul23
2010-12-08, 21:51
Hi tashi - that's brilliant thanks! Exactly the reassurance I was looking for - really appreciate you taking the time to answer!

:thanks: again!