PDA

View Full Version : Can't delete file

Lynn1102
2010-12-08, 03:10
I'm working on my brother in law computer. His kids have this all screwed up, with lots of malware, viruses, and just plain junk.
I'm trying to clean it up, but keep running into problems. I had installed Spybot, but it wouldn't run - got message "can't find device or file". I deleted Spybot using Revo, and manually cleaned up some junk. I finally got Reg Mechanic to clean up the registry. I tried Spybot again. This time when it tried to run, I got a message that the file was "read Only". Checking the system, I found a folder with Spybot.exe in it. It was from the old install. I tried to change it from read only but it said I can't do that. I also couldn't rename it. Checking further, I found that it is now listed as a system file and I can't do anything with it. Revo will not remove it. I can't remove it manually, and Spybot won't run as long as it's there. Any ideas on how to get Spybot to run?
The system is WinXP home, Dell computer, lot of hard drive space, but ony 512 memory. I'm about ready to dump the whole thing and start again.

Lynn

spybotsandra
2010-12-08, 11:48
Hello,

This thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=50194) should help. :)

Best regards
Sanra
Team Spybot

marianne7863
2010-12-08, 12:31
Hey thanks i was also not able to delete file but u helped me thats guys ...