PDA

View Full Version : Spybot & Norton Av Cause Shutdown

neuroticduck
2006-07-25, 09:51
I read your sticky on shutdowns & my problem does not appear to be heat related. My AMD Athlon 2600+ processor is running at about 47-49 C.

A few days ago my computer started shuting down. At first it appeared to be an intermittant problem - as I was running or working on different programs and all of a sudden my computer turned off. In addition to turning off in order to power it back up I literally had to cut power to the computer either by unplugging the cord or switching off my surge protector before the power switch would work. Thought at the time it could be my power supply but when I tried to use Norton to do a scan on my C drive (3 times) it shut down. Then I tried to use Spybot (3 times) and it shutdown - Then I booted to an alternate drive (R) - I have 3 bootable drives all with Win2000Pro and that drive seemed to stay on longer then the others so I tried using my NorTon AV on that drive to scan my C drive and my computer shut down immediately. Next I booted back to my C drive and remembering that on that drive I have Norton AV corporate edition with realtime scanning - I disabled the realtime scanning and no problem has not shut down as long as that is disabled., With Norton AV disabled I tried to run Spybot again and sure enough as soon as it started to scan my computer it shutdown.

The computer is stable and no shutdown problems unless I try to use Norton AV to scan my drive or enable the realtime scan which runs for a bit then it must hit something which causes the shutdown and if I run Spybot it shutsdown within a couple of seconds after it starts scanning - Why I have to kill the power completely before my switch will work is a total mystery to me - if I loose power and my computer goes down I can just hit the power switch and start it again but not with these shutdown problems i have been having.

The only program that I have added recently is the digital image monitoring program that is supplied with hp digital cameras but that was running ok for a couple of weeks or more before this shutdown problem and just to make sure I used startcop to disable it and still had the shutdown problem.

Anyone else having a shutdown problem lately??? Total bummer the two programs that I use to protect my computer from these kind of **** problems, I can't run - I have kept my Norton and My Spybot upto date and have not had any virus or other similar problems in years and Spybot also has kept it free of any "problems" for quite some time.

Any help will be appreciated - Sorry about the length of the post but couldn't think of a shorter way to truly explain the problem.

System:

AMD 2600+, 512mb DDR3200, MSI GForce4 4400 8x AGP 64mb, 8x dvd writer, 4 maxtor ata133 drives & 2 acom data external usb2.0 drives (almost a terrabyte in storage) 350 watt pwr supply, coolermaster cpu fan (manual speed adjustment) & heatsink

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-25, 13:20
Is that temperature measurement while you are running Norton or Spybot?

neuroticduck
2006-07-25, 17:06
The temperature range I indicated was while running Norton or Spybot S&D.

Just ran tests on both and as stated both programs caused the computer to shutdown. This time however I ran MBM5 (motherboard monitor v5) and made snaps of the system stats before running Norton and then Spybot S&D and then snaps while they were scanning They can be viewed here:

http://www.2621midvale.com/shutdown.html

This system has always been extremely stable and still is as long as I don't run my AV or Spybot S&D - unfortunately we all know what will happen to my stability if I run the computer for any length of time without those protections :sick:

It's difficult to believe that I'm the only one who has this problem - I checked the Semantec site and could not find any recent security warnings describing my symptoms ???

As before any help would be appreciated or if anyone else is experiencing similar I'd like to know

Thanks

xertqs
2006-11-03, 10:33
I have experienced a similar shut down problem since the past month. can't understand why the laptop shuts down automatically while in the process of running a full system scan using Norton Anti Virus 2006. This is a new phenomenon. I have written to Symantec requesting their help

md usa spybot fan
2006-11-03, 14:29
xertqs:

It is possible that the CPU is overheating and the system is shutting down to protect the processor.

Skeptical? If you doubt that this can be the cause of a shutdown during a Spybot scan and other CPU intensive scans, read the following:
Spybot causes shut down (Solution - Blew out heat sink)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2163
PC crashes while Spybot is running (Solution - Blew out heat sink)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2230
Spybot wont run (Solution – Vacuumed the fan ["hovering the fan" actually])
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2685
spybot related shutdown (Solution – Member did not specify the corrective action taken, but did comment: "Success!!!! Yes!!! It worked. Thats amazing.")
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=3796
spybot shuts down computer while scanning (Solution – Fixed loose heat sink)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=4582
Suggestions:
Make sure that the fans are running and that dust is cleared from any ventilation ports in the case.
For desktops (See Caution! below):
Consider opening the case and checking to make sure the CPU heat sink is not dusty or loose. There is a tutorial on cleaning desktop computers here:
Cleaning the Interior of your PC
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial118.html
For laptops (See Caution! below):
If your owner's manual tells you how to open the case (IBM ThinkPads and Dell Inspirons generally do), consider opening the case and checking to make sure the CPU heat sink is not dusty.
If you have a laptop with one of the one of the following processors:
Mobile Pentium III-M
Mobile Pentium 4-M
Mobile Pentium 4
Mobile Pentium M / Centrino
Mobile AMD
Take a look at following suggestion by 100mill (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=2965):
Notebook CPU running hot during Spybot scan
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1816
Caution!
Before open the case on any PC make sure that you read the owner's manual for that specific PC. This is extremely important not only for your well being due to electrical hazards but also for your PC's well being due to the possibility of static electricity discharges that can damage your PC.
If you are in the least bit hesitant about opening the case of your PC, please err on the side of caution and seek professional help.

Terrilynn
2007-08-02, 10:24
In reply to the other people having trouble with norton and overheating, I too am experiencing these problems. I have installed norton Internet Security 2007 and my system closes down about a quarter way through a full system scan. I have been able to run the scan in safe mode in its entirety but this success does not transfer to the main system.
I may also have the problem with the fan not working but the amount of time I get before close down varies depending on how much work I have done before trying to run Norton. I cants run Liveupdate either.
I cant uninstall Norton because that would make my subscription null and void and as I have 6 months left on it I am not keen to do this yet. I am also trying to avoid system restore because I didnt set any manual restore points. Hewlett Packard have been very helpful but I have been unable to carry all the procedures they have suggested because the system shuts down whenever I try to download anything.
Am thinking of going back to pen and paper!!!!

Terrilynn

deano2311
2007-09-13, 17:39
I read your sticky on shutdowns & my problem does not appear to be heat related. My AMD Athlon 2600+ processor is running at about 47-49 C.

A few days ago my computer started shuting down. At first it appeared to be an intermittant problem - as I was running or working on different programs and all of a sudden my computer turned off. In addition to turning off in order to power it back up I literally had to cut power to the computer either by unplugging the cord or switching off my surge protector before the power switch would work. Thought at the time it could be my power supply but when I tried to use Norton to do a scan on my C drive (3 times) it shut down. Then I tried to use Spybot (3 times) and it shutdown - Then I booted to an alternate drive (R) - I have 3 bootable drives all with Win2000Pro and that drive seemed to stay on longer then the others so I tried using my NorTon AV on that drive to scan my C drive and my computer shut down immediately. Next I booted back to my C drive and remembering that on that drive I have Norton AV corporate edition with realtime scanning - I disabled the realtime scanning and no problem has not shut down as long as that is disabled., With Norton AV disabled I tried to run Spybot again and sure enough as soon as it started to scan my computer it shutdown.

The computer is stable and no shutdown problems unless I try to use Norton AV to scan my drive or enable the realtime scan which runs for a bit then it must hit something which causes the shutdown and if I run Spybot it shutsdown within a couple of seconds after it starts scanning - Why I have to kill the power completely before my switch will work is a total mystery to me - if I loose power and my computer goes down I can just hit the power switch and start it again but not with these shutdown problems i have been having.

The only program that I have added recently is the digital image monitoring program that is supplied with hp digital cameras but that was running ok for a couple of weeks or more before this shutdown problem and just to make sure I used startcop to disable it and still had the shutdown problem.

Anyone else having a shutdown problem lately??? Total bummer the two programs that I use to protect my computer from these kind of **** problems, I can't run - I have kept my Norton and My Spybot upto date and have not had any virus or other similar problems in years and Spybot also has kept it free of any "problems" for quite some time.

Any help will be appreciated - Sorry about the length of the post but couldn't think of a shorter way to truly explain the problem.

System:

AMD 2600+, 512mb DDR3200, MSI GForce4 4400 8x AGP 64mb, 8x dvd writer, 4 maxtor ata133 drives & 2 acom data external usb2.0 drives (almost a terrabyte in storage) 350 watt pwr supply, coolermaster cpu fan (manual speed adjustment) & heatsink

i have exactly the same problem and it is really frustrating me. i go back to college on monday and i am doing an I.T course will ask some of the lecturers if they know. but would really help if someone knew the solution! I am seriously thinking about getting a technician in the have a look not sure.

deano2311
2007-09-13, 17:42
In reply to the other people having trouble with norton and overheating, I too am experiencing these problems. I have installed norton Internet Security 2007 and my system closes down about a quarter way through a full system scan. I have been able to run the scan in safe mode in its entirety but this success does not transfer to the main system.
I may also have the problem with the fan not working but the amount of time I get before close down varies depending on how much work I have done before trying to run Norton. I cants run Liveupdate either.
I cant uninstall Norton because that would make my subscription null and void and as I have 6 months left on it I am not keen to do this yet. I am also trying to avoid system restore because I didnt set any manual restore points. Hewlett Packard have been very helpful but I have been unable to carry all the procedures they have suggested because the system shuts down whenever I try to download anything.
Am thinking of going back to pen and paper!!!!

Terrilynn

you can uninstall norton and continue your account it just dosent make it any better tried it again. i have tried scanning my computer countless time just wont work not sure what to do any ideas. also is it worth getting a technician in and will they charge me alot of money. I am seriouly thinking about just buying a laptop this is doing my head in !

goodswipe
2007-11-23, 21:15
im also having all the same problems. the only difference is that im using fprot as my anti virus software. whenever i attempt to run spybot, my laptop shuts down about 10 seconds into the scan. whenever i scan with fprot my laptop shuts down to towards the end. several ppl keep saying that it must be a cpu heating issue which ive come to the conclusion that its not due to the fact that the problem is so consistent in where it shuts down during the scans.

debgk
2007-11-30, 12:45
hi,
just joined because I was searching for solutions to this same issue. Everything on my system seems stable UNTIL I run a scan with norton AV 2007.

has anyone found any solutions to this?

thanks!
deb