PDA

View Full Version : Need Major Help- rebooting problem

llbad
2006-07-25, 13:24
I recently ran spybot and norton anti virus on my computer in safemode because it was acting slow. When they finished, there were only a few minor things found and so i let the programs fix the problems and the restarted. Upon restarting I came to a blue screen saying something like "winsrv not found- reinstalling might fix the problem" or something of that nature ( I can write down exactly what it says if it is necessary). Now every time I restart it says that and it won't let me get to the log in screen :(. It won't let me restart in safe mode either. I'm guessing this problem occured by spybot or norton deleting something that it shouldn't have, and I seriously can't afford to lose all of my files. Is there a way of undoing this or at least getting my files and folders back? Thanks tons for the help as my dad will kill me if I don't fix this (on his computer). I will be on all night untill his is fixed.

PS very sorry if this is in the wrong forum I hope it isn't.

neuroticduck
2006-07-25, 23:34
What is your OS - Win XP ? Win2000?

If you do not wish to lose your files and they are very important to you then I would recommend that you stop messing with that hard disk or partition all together.

If you have a free (empty or w/files that are unimportant) partition on one of your harddisks and you have a multi-boot OS such as Win2000 or XP then you can install Windows to that partition and then boot to the new Windows installation. Then you can safely backup all your files that are on your C drive either by copying them to the new partition or writing them to DVD or CD. You should only copy your data files and perhaps your email files - No use in copying your program installations from your C drive as they have to be reinstalled if you cannot fix the problem that is not allowing you to start Windows. If you have Win2000 or Win XP (I believe) when you hit the f8 key for safemode there is an option to boot to last known good configuration or something similar - have you tried that? It usually works!

Hard Disks are very cheep now days so if you are unable to fix the C drive and you want to save all your data files then I would recommend that you purchase a drive and install it as your primary drive (C:\) and make your current harddrive a slave of that drive or your second master drive. Then install your OS on the new drive and boot up and then copy all your data files to your new drive so they are backed up - You will then have to reinstall all your programs which is a pain but at least you will have all the files that are important to you.

If you reinstall your OS onto your C drive without backing up your data files you are not only going to have to reinstall your programs YOU ARE GOING TO LOOSE ALL YOUR FILES!

Try f8 last known good configuration if it is available to you then what can I say GOOD LUCK!

llbad
2006-07-26, 02:54
I pretty much didn't understand a word you said, except yes I am using XP. I'll get my dad over here to read this because he actually knows computer slang. I got a suggestio on another forum saying if I do a "repair" with windows xp it won't lose all my files, but this is contradicting to what soe others say so I'm a little confused right now. I'll post later when my dad comes home (since I can't edit there posts....)

Rednose
2006-07-26, 03:40
Upon restarting I came to a blue screen saying something like "winsrv not found- reinstalling might fix the problem"

The winsrv.dll file is missing on your system. On an XP system it has to be in C:\WINDOWS\system32 by default. You can can get the winsrv.dll file from your Windows XP Instalation CD, or just Google for it. There are many places you can download missing files from ( For free ! ).

Greetz, Red.

Rednose
2006-07-26, 03:55
Ok, I will be nice to you :) Here a link (http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/W/winsrv.dll/5.1.2600.2180/download.html)

Let me know if it solved your problem :)

Greetz, Red.

whathappened
2006-12-16, 00:08
i was restarted my computer because of updates i am using windows xp and now it wont even get to the login screen i get the windows xp loading screen and then a blue screen saying stop c0000135 something winsrv not found i tried booting from last known good configuration but it doesnt work i do not have the xp cd rom i have an xp dvd but it doesnt have an option for a recovery console or anything if anyone has any suggestions that would be great thank you sorry if this is the wrong place i guess if i knew anything about computers i wouldnt be in this situation to begin with