PDA

View Full Version : Installing SpyBot-Search & Destroy 1.4

Tom.K
2006-07-25, 19:10
Can somebody help with installying SpyBot-Search & Destroy 1.4 with backups,recovery files,logs from SpyBot-Search & Destroy 1.3 and which mirror is the best for downloading SpyBot-Search & Destroy 1.4 ?
I`m just an new user.

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-25, 19:27
The normal uninstall of Spybot-S&D 1.3 does not remove the recovery files that were produced by a previous version of Spybot. See:
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
How to uninstall?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.html
Download sites for Spybot-S&D 1.4:
Four (4) here:Mirror Selection – The home of Spybot–S&D!
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Uninstall Spybot-S&D 1.3:
Go into Spybot > Immunize
Click "Undo" button (at the top)
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
"Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer"

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks.
Uncheck (if checked) any of the following "Miscellaneous locks":
Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers
Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)
Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user)

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file
Click the "Remove Spybot S&D hosts list" button (at the top)

Exit Spybot-S&D
Make sure that TeaTimer is not running by checking for the TeaTimer System Tray Icon. If the icon is there:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident. TeaTimer should close.

Go to Windows > Control panel > Add or Remove Programs > Locate "Spybot – Search & Destroy 1.3" > Remove.
Using Windows explorer, verified that the following folder has been delete. If not, delete it:C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Optional - If you want to make sure that all the registry entries that Spybot-S&D added during installation are removed, there is a .reg file available on the safer-networking.org WEB site that can do that. See the following article:
How to uninstall?
The direct download link is:
remove-spybotsd-settings.reg (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg)
Download the file.
Double click on it
Answer Yes then OK

Optional - Delete the Configuration.ini fileThe Configuration.ini file is stored in one of the following folders:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Installing Spybot-S&D 1.4:
Execute spybotsd14.exe download above.
Do not change the default installation path of:C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Tom.K
2006-07-25, 19:41
Whoa!:spider:
I`m not expected this.
But there is not found that mirror.
Add a link.

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-25, 21:55
This link to the mirror sites is not working?

Download sites for Spybot-S&D 1.4:
Four (4) here:Mirror Selection – The home of Spybot–S&D!
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Tom.K
2006-07-26, 19:28
This link to the mirror sites is not working?
Link is ok but which mirror?
Planet mirror,ZoneX,Xteq,BN file forum.
From which mirror ? :confused:
What register key removes?
If I copy all files from C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy and if I uninstall it,then install a new version,then owerwrite files from Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 to Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 does will be all ok?

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-26, 20:09

Any.

What register key removes?
Download the file > right click and select Edit and you will see.

If I copy all files from C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy and if I uninstall it,then install a new version,then owerwrite files from Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 to Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 does will be all ok?
Not necessary. As indicated in the following reference:

The normal uninstall of Spybot-S&D 1.3 does not remove the recovery files that were produced by a previous version of Spybot. See:
How to uninstall?

Also, neither the automated uninstall nor the manual uninstall like described above will remove the following directories, which you will have to remove by hand:
Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Aplication Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
Don't delete it and it will remain intact so there is no need to copy, etc.

Tom.K
2006-07-26, 20:15
Any.

Download the file > right click and select Edit and you will see.

Yeah,any.Which you are selected?
Please tell me what means.
Why Spybot - Search & Destroy not finding viruses and worms ?
My friend it was attacked by worm,but Spybot - Search & Destroy didn`t find that worm.Anyway,worm it was destroyed by Sophos.

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-26, 21:16

Any.
The currect mirrors (BN FileForum, PlanetMirror, XTeq, and Freenet (German)) are mirrors (duplicates) of one another. In other words, each one will download the same installation file (spybotsd14.exe). It does not matter which one you use.

Which you are selected?
I downloaded spybotsd14.exe over a year ago (2005-06-01) and I do not remember.

Why Spybot - Search & Destroy not finding viruses and worms ?
My friend it was attacked by worm,but Spybot - Search & Destroy didn`t find that worm.Anyway,worm it was destroyed by Sophos.
Spybot is an anti-spyware product and specializes in detecting Dialers, Hijackers, Keyloggers, Tojans, Tracking Cookies and other Malware. It is not an anti-virus product, which primarily detect viruses and worms.

noel-pr7
2006-07-27, 00:43
Spybot is an anti-spyware product and specializes in detecting Dialers, Hijackers, Keyloggers, Tojans, Tracking Cookies and other Malware. It is not an anti-virus product, which primarily detect viruses and worms.

md usa spybot fan has stated Spybot clearly.

try not to confuse anti-spyware software with anti-virus software, Tom.K. antivirus programs and anti-spyware programs work differently and detect different stuff.

but it's good to have both antivirus & antispyware software installed for best protection

Tom.K
2006-07-27, 19:11
Finally,question is over.:blush:
But I have a question again.:fear:
Does found and removed usage tracks are added to statistics?
I `ve created cookie list but I will not add it wihout administrator allow.:sick:
I think that is in cookie list are tracking cookies.

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-27, 21:52
Tom.K

Does found and removed usage tracks are added to statistics?
I believe that they are.

I `ve created cookie list but I will not add it wihout administrator allow.:sick:
When you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Ignore cookies > and check the cookies that you want to keep, that list is stored in the Cookies.sbe file located in one of the following directories/folders:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Check the access rights that you have on that directory/folder and file.

I think that is in cookie list are tracking cookies.
After you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Ignore cookies and checked cookies that you want ignored, exit that page (click on Settings in the left pane for example) then go back into "Ignore cookies”. If you have checked any cookies that Spybot recognizes as tracking cookies, you will receive a Confirmation dialog message asking you how you would like to proceed:
Confirmation
You have excluded tracking cookies from the search. Do you really want to NOT check for them?
[Yes] [No]
If you check "Yes", the list will be displayed with the item(s) checked but offset to the right. If you check "No", the list will be displayed with the tracking cookie(s) unchecked.

It appears that even if you leave tracking cookies that Spybot recognizes checked in "Ignore cookies" they will still be identified during a scan ("Check for problems") and listed as a Red entry in the list of problems, pre-checked for correction if you do a "Fix selected problems". The information at the top of the "Ignore cookies" panel says:

Cookies you check here will not be cleaned when you clean usage tracks.
It does not indicate that they will be excluded during a scan for "Spyware".

Tom.K
2006-07-28, 19:14
I know that all. I think about attachments.I`ve created 8 screenshots and tracking cookie list (I think that are tracking).But I can`t add files because in manage attachments all my files are jumped that.What should I do?
I`m still waiting for administrator allow for files.
I`m thinking one,and you second.

Tom.K
2006-07-30, 19:48
Now I`m confused.:confused: I was tried to download Spybot-Search & Destroy from Planet Mirror,but not loads.Does Somebody has got Setup SpyBot-Search & Destroy ? :(
Why is not in SpyBot webpage this setup?

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-30, 22:41
Tom.K:

Now I`m confused.:confused:
I will bet that you are not nearly as confused as I am. I though we finished with the downloading and installing Spybot-S&D 1.4.

I was tried to download Spybot-Search & Destroy from Planet Mirror,but not loads.
I am having trouble interpreting "… but not loads".

… but not loads.
If "… but not loads" means "… but does not download":
Did you try any of the other three (3) mirrors?
Did the administrator of your system give you authority to download the program?

… but not loads.
If "… but not loads" means "… but will not install Spybot after the download":
Are the attributes of the downloaded file like the following?
File: spybotsd14.exe
Size: 5,037,072 bytes
Modified: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 10:18:44 AM

MD5: C1A843913269018A8FC962407D7E5169
What are the error messages that you are getting when you attempt to install Spybot-S&D 1.4.

noel-pr7
2006-07-31, 19:13
well md usa spybot fan,Tom.K needs to improve some of his english when describing his problems here

also what version of Windows Tom.K is using? he needs to specify that so we can help him further. to do this, right-click on the My Computer icon on the Desktop and select Properties to check Windows version.

Spybot S&D will NOT install under NT4, Win2000, WinXP or WinServ2003 if the user account is not an "Administrator" account.

Tom.K
2006-07-31, 19:14
I`ve tried to download before but is only 1 of 4 pieces (186 KB) is downloaded.
Do you have setup so I can safely download SpyBot-Search & Destroy 1.4 ?
Some other information:In my school is installed ErrorSafe.
Nobody knows in my school that in one classroom (you know,learning about computers) are spywares (maybe).:sick:

Tom.K
2006-07-31, 19:20
well md usa spybot fan,Tom.K needs to improve some of his english when describing his problems here

also what version of Windows Tom.K is using? he needs to specify that so we can help him further. to do this, right-click on the My Computer icon on the Desktop and select Properties to check Windows version.

Spybot S&D will NOT install under NT4, Win2000, WinXP or WinServ2003 if the user account is not an "Administrator" account.
I`m using Windows ME.
Have you got Setup SpyBot-Search & Destroy 1.4 ?
I wan`t download safely setup.
Not from mirrors.Always problem.(do not post problem about mirrors,only lost of time).

Tom.K
2006-07-31, 19:26
And only one thing.
How to activate TeaTimer?
Maybe:SpyBot-Search & Destroy/Advanced mode/Tools/Resident and check
TeaTimer protection.
What next?

md usa spybot fan
2006-08-04, 16:46
How to activate TeaTimer?
Maybe:SpyBot-Search & Destroy/Advanced mode/Tools/Resident and check
TeaTimer protection.
The answer is yes. However, I don't think that we have established if you were ever able to download and install Spybot 1.4 or are still running Spybot 1.3. It makes a difference in regards to TeaTimer because both TeaTimer 1.3 and TeaTimer 1.4 were both delivered with bugs that affect the operation of TeaTimer in different ways. You should be aware of the bugs before using TeaTimer.

Tom.K
2006-08-06, 19:12
Ok.
I will run TeaTimer when I recieve a setup.
Oops!
I`ve now checked max. size and it`s 97,7 KB.
Well,nothing.I will try to download from mirrors.:(