PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure what is going on.

ailised
2010-12-26, 05:39
My computer has been running strangely for at least a month now. I keep getting redirected to different websites when I click on links after I search google. Often times the window will say 'redirect'. Also get i keep getting pop ups saying my system is infected would i like to download anti virus. Additionally, when not in safe mode, I can not really run any programs, the computer just says that 'programname'.exe is infected and cannot be run. This happens even when trying to run a program off a flashdrive or CD.

I'm not entirely certain if I posted what I was supposed to here, I made a log, and the DDS log like the instructions said.

Also i have Sophos Anti-Virus which I obtained from my school. I also have HijackThis and Spybot S&D. I'm not entirely certain what is going on. Sophos sends items into quarantine but then says i must manually remove them, however, when i try to delete the files my computer says are infect, it says that I don't have permission to do so.

shelf life
2010-12-29, 02:46
hi ailised,

Sorry for the delay. You just described some of the classic symptoms of malware. Your post is a few days old. If you still need help post back.

I would not use the machine until its cleaned up. Make sure it has no internet connectivity, if your not sure how to do this then power it off.

ailised
2010-12-29, 04:53
I stopped getting the popups saying that something has infected my machine, but I am still being redirected to different sites, if you could help me get rid of that it would be wonderful

shelf life
2010-12-29, 16:30
ok. Can you post a current log with DDS then we will get started.

Why dont you go ahead and run tdsskiller to start with. Post the log it generates and a current DDS log.

Please download TDSS Killer.exe (http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe) and save it to your desktop
Double click to launch the utility. After it initializes click the start scan button.

Once the scan completes you can click the continue button.

"The utility will automatically select an action (Cure or Delete) for known malicious objects. A suspicious object will be skipped by default."

"After clicking Next, the utility applies selected actions and outputs the result."

"A reboot might require after disinfection."

A report will be found in your Root drive Local Disk (C) as: TDSSKiller.2.4.2.1_09.08.2010_17.32.21_log.txt (name, version, date, time)
Please post the log report