PDA

View Full Version : Spybot & SSD Drives & other issues

ziad74
2011-02-07, 17:22
1-Is it safe to run the Secure Shredder tool on an SSD?
I mean this multiple passes writting thingy won't it affect the Cell life of the SSD?

2-Why upon running the Secure Shredder "without Admin privileges" always says that (shredding of the file C:\hello world.txt)? This file doesnt even exist on any of my drives.

3- In the interest of saving space on my SSD can I configure Spybot not to log files for every action it takes? Such as updates, scans, etc...?

4-While installing Spybot on my Win7 64bit machine I chose to integrate it with the Security Center. Yet, the security center still says that I have No anti spyware installed!!!!
PS I disabled the Win Defender & enabled the Tea Timer "Tea Timer is much better"

Been a Spybot user for over 6 yrs now "still loving it" but, I think its time for a new version with new features

spybotsandra
2011-02-07, 17:31
Hello,

1. It is safe to use the Secure Shredder and it won't affect the Cell life of Spybot. ;)

2. The hello world.txt is just a test file by us, nothing to worry.

3. The logs are a default setting of Spybot - Search & Destroy.
If you do not want to have logs stored then change the settings of your Spybot.

Please run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to the Advanced mode via the menu item Mode.
Now select 'Settings' - 'Settings' from the navigation bar on the left.
Scroll down until you will find the point "Log file settings".
There you can untick the 4 checkboxes.

4. I am sorry, but Windows has updated the WSC and our method to integrate into the security center does not work anymore.
We are working on a fix, that will be available in our next version. There is no release date yet.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

chi-va
2011-02-07, 22:53
1-Is it safe to run the Secure Shredder tool on an SSD?
I mean this multiple passes writting thingy won't it affect the Cell life of the SSD?

SSD could be an abbreviation for Spybot Search & Destroy but it could also mean solid-state drive.;)

The Dynamic Wear Levelling process from a solid-state drive will place new data on not often used cells in order to preserve the cells. Hence it is difficult to overwrite data on a solid-state drive. With other words it is unlikely that you can securely erase data on a solid-state drive with the Secure Eraser. Exception: Overwriting the whole drive or using solid-state drives with a special controller(very expensive).

Recommendation: Don’t use a solid-state drive for confidential data.