PDA

View Full Version : Error message preventing download

athenasowl
2011-02-22, 22:29
:wav: Hi, I've never posted on any computer forum so I'm a bit nervous about it. There's probably something I've not done that's obvious to you all who are way more informed than I am about this stuff...

I have a hijacking virus that I've sort of ignored and now it's getting worse! It's redirecting from even password-protected sites like my on-line Yahoo mail account. I tried to download SpyBot S&S and an error message appeared: Error Sending Request / The server name or address could not be resolved / retry / cancel. So is the virus blocking the download?

I thought I might get around this by downloading it to a flash drive from a friend's computer and then trying to get it on to mine, but the same thing happened. I could copy it to the desktop, but then when I opened it it gave me the same error message after a few screens. I tried it with the internet not connected and then with it connected. Same message. Then I looked here on the SpyBot site and searched for a discussion about this, but I couldn't find one that was recent.

I have FireFox, Chrome and IE on my computer, which is a PC. I have Windows XP professional 2002, and get auto-updates. Gee, what else should I put here. I have defraged, dumped all temporary files and cookies. Someone suggested I look at hosts via Notepad and gave me the address to do this. There's nothing there that shouldn't be. Oh, and I have the free version of Avast.

What can I do to download SpyBot? I'm scared of what this virus will escalate to next.

Thanks so much!!:heart::heart::heart:

tashi
2011-02-23, 06:33
Hello athenasowl :welcome:

Are you able to produce what is called a DDS log for a helper to analyze, this sticky includes instructions on how to do that in post #2.
"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Let us know how it goes. :)