PDA

View Full Version : Launch Spybot querie

Non Tech head
2011-03-05, 22:43
Hi ,
hope I'm in right place.
When I launch Spybot S+D From desktop shortcut a small dilaog box comes up telling me a check is being done. (see screenshot attachment).
I can't see any way to access the normal full first screen of Spybot where you can access all features. This has only recently started happening.

Ok another problem, can't upload the document with screenshot in it. ??its a .dot file. It says 'invalid file':sad:

Any comments greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading.

Zenobia
2011-03-06, 09:35
I think this might be it.
If there is a button there that says "Stop Check",please click that,and see if the normal Spybot loads after that.
If it does,then click Mode,then Advance Mode,then Settings,then Settings once again,scroll down to Program Start,and if there is a checkmark beside Run check on program start,then remove the checkmark.

In my case,when I clicked Stop Check,the Spybot loading bar came up behind that window and hovered there,and Spybot never loaded.I'm not sure if that is just something that happened with me,or not.Sooooo:
If you aren't able to get Spybot to load after stopping the check,or if there is no checkmark beside "Run check on program start",then please post back here and let me know what operating system you have.
(I just need to know that so it's easier to give you instructions from there.) :)

Non Tech head
2011-03-11, 13:31
Thank you for replying Zenobia.

I think I may have exactly the same problem as you. I also think this has just started happening since my 'whole' Spybot software was updated.

Like you mentioned I still cannot get past that first small dialog even when I hit the stop check button.
I then tried to Launch from the following: Start/programmes/spybot/advanced mode. Still just got that anoying dialog box again. So I just can't get into spybot 'at will' to make any changes.

Heres the strange thing. It is already set however to update and scan during the night (which it does perfectly). In the morning the 'whole' console 'is' there showing scan results and I can work from that. But of course when I close it, thats it till the following morning.:sad:
Computer Details:
Windows XP Media Centre ED. 4 years old. 512mb ram. IE and Firefox.

Could it be that the latest version is a bit buggy or am I doing something wrong....I know, probably the latter:laugh:

Zenobia
2011-03-11, 21:06
In the morning the 'whole' console 'is' there showing scan results and I can work from that.
That's great,then we don't have to mess around editing your configuration.ini file. :)
In the morning when the whole console is available,click Mode,then Advanced Mode,then Settings,then Settings once again,scroll down to Program Start,and if there is a checkmark beside Run check on program start,then remove the checkmark.

Also,this is unlikely since the program autochecked from both your normal Spybot icon and from the start menu,but could you rightclick your Spybot icon,select Properties,and in the box beside Target:,highlight that if it isn't already,rightclick and Copy it and paste it here.
It'll look something like this:
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /advancedmode

Non Tech head
2011-03-13, 10:34
Ok, yesterday morning I removed the checkmark from 'run check on program start' and then I found that I could launch from shortcuts and have full console available. All good, thank you for that.

This morning full console showing as usual but it had not scanned during the night:sad:I checked the logs which confirmed this.
I also looked at the scheduled settings , still the same.
(I have only recently realised that there is a difference between 'run' and 'scan', they are not the same thing!) and scan=check right!

Here are the target details:

"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"

Zenobia
2011-03-13, 22:04
Good,glad Spybot will launch without the autocheck now. :)

I wonder if removing the autocheck buggered up your scheduled scan? I'm not familiar with the scheduled scans,I haven't used them much,just once in a while if someone had a problem on here,to see what was going on.So I can't help you with that off the top of my head.But I'll try to set up a scheduled scan like yours is and see what I can find out. :)

Did you schedule your scan using Spybot?Or did you go in and schedule a scan through your own computer's task scheduler?

Non Tech head
2011-03-17, 14:39
Hi,
Have attached copy of shedule settings.
In those settings you will see 'run time', I think we have established that 'run' is 'not a scan' but a launch of Spybot. Therefore should I now go back and tick 'run check on programme start' box because we also established that 'check' means 'scan'.

Zenobia
2011-03-17, 15:39
Hi. :)
I haven't run my scheduled scan yet,I scheduled it for later today,so I haven't checked yet for sure.But,in Scheduler within Spybot,if you click Edit at the top,a small window should pop up.On the Task tab,beside Run,you should see this:
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /AUTOCHECK

The "/AUTOCHECK" at the end should get Spybot to run a scan when the scheduled task is started,and not just run the program without a scan happening.
Is the /AUTOCHECK there on yours when you look?Spybot should have added that automatically,so it should be. :)

Non Tech head
2011-03-18, 11:05
No scan overnight again.
The Autocheck is there, see attachment.

spybotsandra
2011-03-18, 11:32
Hello,

You are using the wrong file.
You have automated the SDMain.exe, but you need to use the SpybotSD.exe.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Non Tech head
2011-03-19, 11:31
Thank you Spybotsandra but unfortunately I have no idea what you are talking about:sad:
Would appreciate a little more detail if possible please and also some clarification on what those settings that I have already made in 'The Scheduler' actually do if they don't do what they say they do so to speak.:confused:

I appreciate your time.

signed
Very Non Tech Head:)

Zenobia
2011-03-21, 00:11
It's in the attachment you posted.It shows "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDMain.exe" /AUTOCHECK.That's the wrong file to run,it's the Spybot-S&D Security Center launcher.

If you remove the SDMain.exe part of this line,listed in the Run: box "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDMain.exe" /AUTOCHECK
and put in SpybotSD.exe instead,so that it looks exactly like this:
and then click Apply,and OK,then your scheduled task should launch Spybot correctly at the scheduled time.hth. :)

Non Tech head
2011-04-03, 11:08
I just found this and think I have changed it as advised. Will let you know if it works later....

Zenobia
2011-04-04, 05:46
Close,but no cigar,hehe. :)
That is SDFiles.exe,and that file is the Single file on-demand scanner.
You need SpybotSD.exe.
Please highlight the following line with your mouse,then rightclick it and select Copy:
Then,reopen Spybot,navigate back to the Scheduler,click Edit at the top,remove the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDFiles.exe line from beside Run:,then Paste in the "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /AUTOCHECK line,then click Apply,and then OK.

(I can't remember exactly,but I believe when I tried using the browse button before after hitting Edit,the quote marks were not added to the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe line,and I believe those are necessary with the /AUTOCHECK entry at the end,so if you could try adding in the line by copying and pasting like I posted above,that should get it up and running.) :)

Non Tech head
2011-04-04, 10:10
As you already know that box I showed before didn't work.

I have followed new instructions and have pasted the line as you have it and have attached screenshot of it. Note: Although you cannot see those quote marks they are they. The box is too small but they can be seen when scrolling left or right.

Will let you know how I get on tomorow morning.

Zenobia
2011-04-05, 05:15
Looks good now. :)

Non Tech head
2011-04-05, 09:58
Staying calm but still no go!:cool:

See attachment saying it has scanned and then see check log showing no scan.

The last scan is still showing to have been 24th March.

Zenobia
2011-04-05, 18:10
Could you go back into the Scheduler section of Spybot,click Edit,click over to the Schedule tab,and temporarily adjust the scheduled scan time to about a minute or so later than the present time for you,then press Apply,and OK?That should show what is happening when Spybot is scheduled to scan.

Non Tech head
2011-04-06, 12:34
ok done that. Will see what happens tomorrow morning.

Non Tech head
2011-04-07, 09:40
still no scan.
Just the dialog box again saying it had been done. Its same same box as shown on my attachment of 5th April.

Last scan showing on log list is still 24th March.:cool:

Zenobia
2011-04-07, 18:03
Yes,what I wanted you to do if it was possible,was to temporarily schedule the scan time for a time that you would be present at your computer,so that you could see if Spybot did launch and scan when it was scheduled to. :)

Non Tech head
2011-04-08, 09:11
Ah right, I'll do that and get back to you. Thanks.

Non Tech head
2011-04-08, 12:34
I set a new time of 11.06am. see attachment.
At 11.06 this morning I was at computer and all that appeared was the same dialog box saying scan finished. See attachment.
There was no scan done. Next step please!:)

Zenobia
2011-04-08, 22:05
Your second attachment looks like Spybot's single file scanner window to me,though I haven't ran it for a while.I'm pretty sure the window after a scheduled scan is different.I'll go have a look.

Zenobia
2011-04-08, 22:23
I'm pretty certain that it is the single file scanner in your second attachment.Mine is similar:
http://img651.imageshack.us/i/filescanner3.jpg/

When copying in the "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /AUTOCHECK line before,did you hit Apply,and then OK?

Non Tech head
2011-04-09, 13:00
I'm pretty certain that it is the single file scanner in your second attachment.Mine is similar:
http://img651.imageshack.us/i/filescanner3.jpg/

When copying in the "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /AUTOCHECK line before,did you hit Apply,and then OK?

I think I did but I'll go back and do it again....

Non Tech head
2011-04-09, 13:07
Just did it again. Clicked apply and then ok.
I have reset to scan during the night again for convenience will know the result tomorrow morning.

Zenobia
2011-04-09, 20:40
Ok,thanks.Please include the attachments again,if you could. :)

Non Tech head
2011-04-10, 10:32
Stiil no scan but getting warmer!.
This morning I had what I call the full screen appearing or perhaps its the control panel. Behind that was the "error retrieving update file". That was to be expected as my internet connection drops sometimes (as it did last night).

Zenobia
2011-04-11, 01:31
Still no go,huh?
Ok,let's see......if the Spybot program still shows without having done a scan next time,how about you give me a new screenshot of the window where the Run: line is,after you click Edit,I'd like to have another look at that.Thanks. :)

Non Tech head
2011-04-11, 16:16
No scan. No error retrieveing files this time. Control panel only appearing.
Attached is the schedule edit window.

Zenobia
2011-04-11, 20:48
That's because SDMain.exe has been automated again.It has to be SpybotSD.exe.

Please follow this to show Hidden Files and Folders:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp

Now,go back into Spybot's scheduler section and open the Edit window once again,then click the Browse button.Navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy,then select SpybotSD.exe,and click Open.Then,after the "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe",go to the end of that line,make a space,then put /AUTOCHECK at the end,so that the line looks like this:
Next,click Apply,and then OK.

Then,please give me another screenshot of the schedule edit window.Thanks. :)

Non Tech head
2011-04-12, 10:26
Today I used the computers 'search' fascility to look for spybotSD.exe.
I seach all files and folders including 'hidden' files. It found nothing.

Have a strange feeling in my water now that the file we are looking for, 'spybotSD.exe' is missing.:confused:
Take a look at this attachment and see what you think.

Zenobia
2011-04-12, 18:32
That's because you need to follow the instructions to show hidden files and folders.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp
Make sure you follow everything,right up to number 10,or SpybotSD.exe will not show.

Non Tech head
2011-04-13, 14:04
My apologies, was under presure for time.

Have made those changes and here is new edit box.

Zenobia
2011-04-14, 01:14
No problem. :)

Did you select SpybotSD.exe,and add /AUTOCHECK to the end,after you showed hidden files and folders?

Non Tech head
2011-04-14, 10:18
Not yet, thought I'd show the box first. I'll do it now.

Non Tech head
2011-04-14, 10:29
Done. Will see results tomorrow morning.

Zenobia
2011-04-14, 22:08
Looks perfect to me.Fingers crossed,the scheduled scan should work.Let me know how it goes,please. :)

Non Tech head
2011-04-15, 11:29
Nope!, nothing at all. There was nothing on screen at all this morning. No launch of any part of spybot. Internet connection intact all night and no dialog boxes saying 'unable to update files'. I did check the logs which confirmed again no scan.
Well Zenobia, wasn't it better in Roman times when we didn't have these pesky computers:)

Zenobia
2011-04-15, 16:36
lol!Yes,but then we'd have to polish our abacus or something. :laugh:
I missed it before.You need a space between the /AUTOCHECK and the rest of the line.
And then could I have another screenshot of your edit window after you add in the space,please? :)

Non Tech head
2011-04-16, 10:21
yea, your right about the polishing, hate it. I find it very difficult to reach those bits on the motherboard between the processor and the fans:)

Ok, I put the space in, however I do notice that the forward slash seems to become a back slash when I go back to view the line later. Probably nothing.
Back here tomorrow. Thanks.

Zenobia
2011-04-16, 22:03
Looks like you're missing the quotation marks from the line. (these thingies-> ")
Please add them in so the line looks like this:
The forward slash beside /AUTOCHECK should stay as is if you click apply and OK afterwards.
After you add in those things,let me know if the scheduled scan worked.And if it doesn't,can I please have another screenshot of the edit window.Thanks. :)

Non Tech head
2011-04-17, 11:09
Don't know how I missed those. Done it now. Will let you know how I got on tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Non Tech head
2011-04-18, 09:01
Well some good news and some strange news.
The good news is that Spybot scanned overnight.
Now the strange stuff.
My computer restarted at some stage but I am assuming that was just a coincidence. Then when I closed the Spybot main panel a dialog box 'Memory could not be read' was showing. Then when I closed that behind it was another error box, see attachments. I don't remember seeing those boxes before.

I would also like to ask how can I check if the Spybot updates were done. You remember before when I thought scans were being done but were not!

Thank you.

Zenobia
2011-04-18, 22:03
Glad the scheduled scan ran. :)
I'll have a look through and see if I can find anything on those errors.

To check and see if the Spybot updates were done,you can open Spybot,click Mode,then Advanced Mode,then click Tools,then View Report.Over in the main window,click the button that says View Previous Reports.When the window opens,double click the Update downloads.log,and the updates logfile will open in the Spybot window.You can see from that logfile the time and date that updates were downloaded.It will look similar to this:
18/04/2011 4:53:32 PM downloaded update Detection rules: Update

Zenobia
2011-04-18, 22:48
re:the strange stuff.
Could you let the scheduled scan run again,and let me know if the errors happen again?

Non Tech head
2011-04-19, 10:24
Scan again ok.

Error boxes attached. I have also attached copy of Update files log as I was pleasantly surprised to see that the updates seem to have been working fine during the past few weeks. Somehow I assumed that they were not being updated either.

Thanks again.

Non Tech head
2011-04-19, 12:07
Zenobia, I am very worried I just noticed these files turning up in a number of my folders. Is this something to do with those hidden files we made changes to. See attachment.

Zenobia
2011-04-19, 17:34
Yes,those are all files that are normally hidden by windows,and it's normal for them to be present on your computer.Here's a description of thumbs.db:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_thumbnail_cache#Thumbs.db
(There's a description there of ehthumbs,too.)

desktop.ini:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001060.htm

If you follow this,it will help you to re-hide your files:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43031.html
This will also re-hide SpybotSD.exe,but it will still be present in your Spybot folder,you just won't be able to see it anymore.

Your error boxes screenshot didn't attach.Did you get the same,or similar error messages as the ones from before,when the scheduled scan ran again?

Non Tech head
2011-04-20, 11:32
Scans and updates ok.
Thank you for the information links.
I have successfully reset the hidden files and folders settings.
The error boxes still show when I close the 'Advanced Mode Panel' (used right name at last:))
Have attached again.

Zenobia
2011-04-21, 08:50
Is that the first time you've seen the "Please select some update files from the list first." message?

I found a couple things about Runtime error 216 to do with Spybot,but they were dated roughly about 2 years ago,so I'm not so sure they would apply to you.Some were malware related,and then a group of other people were having problems with the error,and it looks like it had to do with Firefox being open during the scan.
I'm wondering if there might be a problem with some of the includes,but that's nothing more than a vague guess,at the moment.So,I'll see if I can find anymore about Runtime error 216 tomorrow,and if I can't,I'll see if I can find someone to help here.

And,just to have a little peek,would you be able to attach a screenshot of the edit window for me again,and could you also attach a screenshot of the Edit(Updater) window,too? :)

Are you using an administrator account on XP,or are you using a limited account?

Non Tech head
2011-04-21, 10:49
Firstly my apologies again for sending you that old screenshot for convenience. The 'please select update files' part is not a problem anymore, I only get that when my internet connection drops overnight and S&D can't upadate. I have attached todays error boxes which are the current problem now.

I can see from the rest of your post that you probably credit me with a little too much existing computer knowledge. However I have just looked up the meanings of administrater and limited account. So as this is a home and private computer I think I'm right in saying that I am using an 'administrater account'.

Thank you again.

spybotsandra
2011-04-21, 12:21
Hello,

*sneakingin*

About the "Runtime error 216":
Please download a fresh advcheck here (http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd_advcheck-1.6.4.18.exe#hash(md5:23AD12D34C6E9EBC459DDAD9A5F32A08).
Run the exe file, it is a manual update for your advcheck.dll.

You will also find a thread about this problem in our forum (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=50441&page=8).

About "Select files from the list":
It seems to be a problem with the compatibility under Windows Vista/7.
You can solve the problem as follows:

1. Download this new SDUpdate.exe (http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/beta/SDUpdate.exe-1.6.1.19.zip#hash(md5:A0E7FDF5E87CCE18C46C6B6676996FFA).

To use this beta file, extract the downloaded archive into the main application folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\) and replace the old file with the new one.

2. If this does not help go to your SDUpdate.exe file in your program folder: 
C:\Program Files\ Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Rightclick the file and choose properties.
Then choose the tab compatibilty.
There activate the checkbox in front of "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select from the drop down menu "WindowsXP". Now click "Apply" and "OK".

That should fix the problem.

This problem has also been discussed in our forum (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=296467#post296467).

*sneakingout*

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Zenobia
2011-04-21, 21:07
Thanks,Sandra.You must be psychic,you were the one I was going to ask for help on the 216 error. :)

Non Tech head
2011-04-22, 13:54
Thank you Spybotsandra.
How do I run a new advcheck.I think I downloaded it but cant find it. See my efforts via attachments.
Thank you.

Non Tech head
2011-04-22, 15:35
Wait, don't reply yet. Maybe I did learn something this week. Maybe its one of those hiddden files. I'll just twiddle with those settings again and see what happens.

Zenobia
2011-04-22, 17:29
From the looks of your attachments,no need to look for advcheck.dll.It was placed in your Spybot Search & Destroy folder,and overwrote the advcheck.dll already in there. :)

Non Tech head
2011-04-26, 12:47
Hello Zenobia. All is well with my computer. It is scanning and updating perfectly and no error messages. I would like to thank you for your help and patience over the last couple of weeks. Clearly without it I would not have my S&D working overnight for me. Which birings me to another point. I can't seem to find a suitable forum to post this so forgive me if I do it here. You may however cut and paste it to a place that you think would be more appropriate.

As an average computer user it has been a difficult task for me to set my Spybot S&D to automatically udate and scan overnight. I imagine that a lot of 'average' home computer users like myself might also come up with the idea that they may like to have S&D scan overnight but may be fearfull of trying to adjust settings. I would respectfully suggest to SpybotS&D that it might be a good idea if it was somehow made a lot easier for the 'very average users' such as myself to make make the adjustments needed. Perhaps a one or two click solution for a default night run/scan at say 3am for instance might be useful. Perhaps technically this is not possible but I felt it was worth a mention.

Anyway, hopefully I have learned something here and thanks again to Zenobia and Spybotsandra for your help. It was most appreciated.

Zenobia
2011-04-27, 05:41
You're welcome,glad everything is working with the scheduled scan and updates.You might be an "average" computer user(and I consider myself as an average computer user in a lot of ways,still,too.),but you've been very willing to follow along with instructions,keep at it with respectfulness and good humour intact,and also post screenshots so I can see exactly where you are at/what is happening with Spybot.That really does make all the difference,and you did great. :)

As for the Scheduler section of Spybot,it actually uses your computer's task scheduler to set up a scheduled scan for Spybot,and while some things are a bit harder,I found that using it was easier than setting up scheduled tasks for other things in task scheduler,myself.

Hope you have a great day/evening.Cheers. :)