PDA

View Full Version : Steps To Take Before Un-installing Spybot 1.6.2

mg677
2011-03-09, 06:41
Hello, I want to un-install Spybot and I read somewhere before un-installing I may need to set things to default in order to not mess up any changes Spybot controlled. Is there anything I need to do before un-installing? Spybot doesn't always load right and becomes unresponsive. It doesn't load during the scheduled time and I have to use the task manager to get it to respond or end to restart. Should I do this in safe-mode?
System details:
Win. xp sp3, Super-AntiSpyware,Windows Firewall, CCleaner, Glarysoft, Avira AntiVirus, and Lavasoft Adware
Your help in this matter is appreciated. :thanks:

spybotsandra
2011-03-09, 09:47
Hello,

Please deactivate the resident protection in Spybot:
Run Spybot-S&D, switch to the "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" --> hit "YES" --> select "Tools" in the navigation bar on the left --> "Resident" and there you can untick the checkboxes in front of the two tools.
Then run Spybot-S&D and select "Spybot-S&D" --> "Immunize" in the navigation bar on the left. Please hit "Undo".

Now you can completely uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy like recommended in this link (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

mg677
2011-03-11, 03:35
Sandra, I un-installed Spybot. How do I delete the file? Can you tell me how to remove any leftovers and what to look for in the registry? TY

spybotsandra
2011-03-11, 10:33
Hello,

If you did not undo the immunization of Spybot - S&D before uninstalling it might also help to install a new host file.

You might also want to delete this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Safer-Networking Ltd

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

mg677
2011-03-12, 01:48
Hello,

If you did not undo the immunization of Spybot - S&D before uninstalling it might also help to install a new host file.

You might also want to delete this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Safer-Networking Ltd

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Sandra, TY for your help. I did do the undo and it said some files were still protected under one of the browser that I never used so I'm assumming it was safe. They wouldn't un-protect.
I don't understand what you want me to do with the new host file or why I need to do it. I'm not a computer whiz so I hope you understand. TY

drragostea
2011-03-14, 02:43
Basically SpybotSandra was telling you what to do if you wanted to reset all the changes done by Spybot; this includes Immunization (added bad sites to your HOSTS file and your browser's block lists).