PDA

View Full Version : Is deleting an account a solution?

bello
2011-03-10, 17:44
Hi.

I have 2 accounts, one as administrator which is OK, and one as a user, which is unusable due to a variety of popups. The user account is infected by GEN-KAZY and GEN-FRAUDPACK according to SuperAntiSpyware. There is also an entry in the prefetch folder, and various cookies in the user account.

My question is : can I just delete the user account, create another account, and empty the prefetch ? Or is it better to download and run MalwareBytes and Spybot ?

Thanks.

shelf life
2011-03-11, 14:30
The malware might be contained or have less an impact under a limited account, however most people use admin. accounts which gives malware full-blown system privileges. I would suggest you scan with a updated spybot and/or malwarebytes.

bello
2011-03-11, 22:48
FWIW...I ran a full scan in MalwareBytes and quarantined the items Then I deleted the items.
I was then able to logon the previously-infested user account, all seemed OK but Firefox did not connect and displayed the message 'The proxy server is refusing connections. Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.'.

Tried Opera which came up with 'Could not connect to proxy server. Access denied'.

After trial and error this was fixed by setting browser settings to 'no proxy'.

Don't see why MalwareByte reset my proxy settings...

shelf life
2011-03-13, 14:03
why MalwareByte reset my proxy settings...
if thats the case, i dont know why either.