PDA

View Full Version : .exe paths/shortcuts redirected to word pad

sixtyfourcustom
2011-03-16, 08:40
Hi,
Not sure where to post so here goes. I am sure that I will be set straight if on the wrong path.

I witnessed my desk top icons all being replaced by, at first, windows media player icons. Almost all exeicutables would try to open in media player. By minimizing media player, I could get to some things. I managed to uninstall most of media player and now, almost everything (exicutables) open in word pad.
I was able to get to IE because, from the task manager, I was asked if I wanted to go online to see if there was a program to open a file and it opened IE for me. I normally use firefox but could not open as the desk top icon opened first media player and then word pad.
I had run spy bot and reimage a couple of weeks prior to this happening.
Does anyone know what is going on with my system?
Thank you,
sixtyfourcustom

sixtyfourcustom
2011-03-20, 11:11
Finally, after so many reboots, this cancer eating away at my desktop. Swallowing up icon after icon making them do its bidding. Attempt after attempt after finding a way to system recovery to see only the message, "no restore points found", or, "system recovery is not available at this time." I was able to somehow, back door this thing by finding an unblocked path to system recovery which had a restore point just past where the trouble began. This stunned the disease, but the desk top with all the icon casualties remained. With my stunned opponent still staggering about, I quickly downloaded Anti-maulware and set it free upon the monster. Some icons began to change, the desk top, now growing a deep dark layer of beautiful black grass covering the graves and decaying bodies of the icons cut down by the evil virus. Then, a quick running of C: Cleaner and all seems well.

Sixtyfourcustom

tashi
2011-03-20, 19:07
Hello sixtyfourcustom,

This is the FAQ in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22)

"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Best regards. :)

sixtyfourcustom
2011-03-21, 12:28
Tashi,

I can appreciate the fact that you want me to conform to your rules. In fact, I can appreciate the fact that, in this case, I have no choice. I have no choice, even if I did scour your forum for the infamous, "READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST", rules, as I know that people who have been around forums for some time are really touchy about the, "READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST", rules, and COULD FIND NO SUCH, READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST", rules TO READ.
You have me over a barrel, Tashi. There is nothing I can do or say to change that unfortunate fact. I must do as you say if I am going to receive any help from you.
I can say to you and you may not listen, that if you believe your rules to be so important for the unfortunate people who come begging for help, to read and to follow, that it might be a good idea to make access to these rules very easy for us to find. Telling me, in CAPS, that I should read the rules before asking for, pleading for help, after the fact does little good and creates an aire of unfriendliness that, very unfortunately, forums such as this one you so steadfastly moderate, are, rightly so, famous for. Perhaps a little compassion and gentle guidance for the unsure new member might go over a little better and not make people afraid to tread into your waters. Yes, it is so easy for you to find those rules. They are right there where you put them, and in plain sight. I must be stupid, ignorant, or just arrogant to not have read and abided by them so that I would not have wasted your precious time.
You might try going to the HP forum to see how it is run. I didn't know how or what I should do there either, but I found two people willing to give me the help I needed and even with a smile on their face. They were happy to be able to help me and I felt welcomed into their realm. Do you really think that I or the other people who do not follow your rules do so, just to give you a reason to not help them? That they just can't wait to have an emergency and come running to you and tell you to shove your rules so that you, again, have such a good excuse to not help them? I think that, just maybe, they made a mistake, they overlooked the one spot in the forum that you bothered to place your so very important rules. I am sure that you will tell me that the rules are posted all over your forum. And I will say this to you. I looked and looked for them after having seen them once and then lost them and I could not see, nor find them again. I needed your help and you yelled at me and said, "READ THE RULES." There is just something that the use of CAPS does to me and gets my dander up. At this point, I am afraid that, after finally being given a link to your rules, I will not bother to read them. I seriously doubt that I venture back here in hopes of being received pleasantly and offered any help in the same manner. I guess that I am telling you that I will not dangle above your barrel, ever, again.
Sixtyfourcustom

tashi
2011-03-21, 16:16
Hello sixtyfourcustom,

I needed your help and you yelled at me and said, "READ THE RULES."

:confused:

I posted a link to the malware forum sticky in case you would have liked someone to check the system and set your mind at ease.

Wasn't sure after reading "all seems well" and your other topic: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=61902

they overlooked the one spot in the forum that you bothered to place your so very important rules.

This is the Tavern. FYI: Welcome to the Tavern, (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=187)

Have a nice day. :)