PDA

View Full Version : XP Security Alert 2011

gksmith
2011-03-23, 21:35
A user at work encountered the "XP Security Alert 2011" and I found a fix that included two registry fixes and Malware Bytes software.

Can Search and Destroy detect and deny/prevent/kill the XP Security Alert 2011?

spybotsandra
2011-03-24, 10:51
Hello,

We should be able to and although nothing is present after a scan we will be able to locate the threat in a bug report.

But Spybot Search and Destroy is only free for the private use.

Corporate users need to purchase a license.

Some more information is available here (www.safer-networking.ie).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

LariRudi
2011-03-26, 08:48
XP Security Alert 2011

And I never said "yes" to ANY of their questions.

I'm a Newbie, and am wondering where to get the free download that takes care of this nuisance?

None of my executable files work except AOL that provided me a path to get in here.

thx,

LarryR : )

LariRudi
2011-03-26, 09:07
And I was able to locate it to verify it's presence in my "Program Files".... I was surprised to not find a new icon on my Desktop? Should there be one automatically installed?

Well, I tried to run it, and all I get is the Window's "Window" that says "Open With", and it suggests numerous executable programs that I have.

So it won't open/run.

Does that mean I have further/more problems on my computer?

When I succeed in getting it to run, will it be intuitive? or do I need instructions? Of course I don't want to damage my computer with a mistrake on my part.

[edit one for spelig]

thx,

tashi
2011-03-26, 16:38
Hello LariRudi,

When I succeed in getting it to run, will it be intuitive? or do I need instructions?

Spybot-S&D? Tutorial: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/tutorial/index.html

Please list the security programs installed on your computer. :)

Best regards.

LariRudi
2011-03-26, 17:27
Hello LariRudi,

Spybot-S&D? Tutorial: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/tutorial/index.html

Please list the security programs installed on your computer. :)

Best regards.

To my knowlege, I only have McAfee, which is supplied by AOL; it is updated quite often, sometimes more than once per day.

Otherwise, how can I tell if there is more? [I bought the computer as a second owner]. Shall I go folder by folder through my Program Files? I'll try that.

Shall I disable it/them?

I will study the tutorial you suggested. before I write again.

thx,

LariRudi
2011-03-26, 17:59
I've read the Tutorial, thanks.

Here is how far I've gone.

qqqqqqqqqq
2. Installation [link]

The file you have downloaded will be named spybotsd162.exe or similar. To install Spybot-S&D, all you have to do is run the file, and the installation program will start (if you have downloaded with Internet Explorer

[My Internet Explorer does not work, dbl clicking it says "Application not found", so I used AOL to download it, as I'm using AOL right now],

the download dialog will give you the option to open the file directly). The installer will show you the license and ask you for the installation location.

[I asked it to go to "Program Files"; it DID go there.]

You can go with the default settings here and just click your way through the installer by using the Next button.

After the installation has finished, you will see a Spybot - Search & Destroy button on your desktop and in your start menu.

[No, a Spybot S&D did NOT appear on my desktop, NOR on my Start Menu]

Click on it to start Spybot-S&D the first time.

qqqqqqqqqqqq

I've verified that SpyBot DOES show in my "Program Files"; it is noted as an "Application" and was downloaded on 3/26/11 at 1:57am.

[Edit; supplemental information: I went into "My Computer", into "Program Files" and verified it's presence, and then, as can be done with other "Applications", I double clicked on it to "open" and "run" it. A window opens and asks me "Whch Application do I want to use to 'run' this". Of course, this event is the same thing that I mentioned in my earliest post[s].]

thx,

LariRudi
2011-03-26, 18:18
This is what got me to SpyBot [and was to be in my earlier posts:

My earlier post is not there, I must not have followed thru with everything. I was explaining my computer's behavior after what I believe to be a bout with "XP Security Alert 2011".

IE, Firefox, GOM, Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Google, Google Earth, Control Panel, Finale, Paint, iTunes, Minesweeper, and MUCH MORE do not work. I get one or the other actions when I try to double click, or "run" them. And more; I didn't list them all.

1 A window pops up and asks "Which Application do you want to use to run this"? or

2 Application not found

Exception. I CAN "get into" Microsoft Excel or Word by an indirect path. I have a folder on my desktop labelled "daily use". It contains a Word and an Excel file. It allows me to open that folder, and if I double click on my Word or Excel DOCUMENT, it opens IT for me, and then I can do MORE work with Word/Excel AS IF nothing was wrong.

Another exception. The "Search" function still works, so I can do a search for what I want, double click it, and SOMETIMES it allows me to open a document that gets me into the Application. But a search for the executable file SHOWS it, but double clicking it gives me same results as in 1 or 2 above.

thx,

tashi
2011-03-26, 21:34
Hello LariRudi,

My earlier post is not there, I must not have followed thru with everything.

They are all in this thread unless one of them didn't post. It might be best if someone takes a look at the system, you can start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) and a volunteer analyst will advise when available. :euro:

If you decide to do that please see the forum's FAQ which also includes instructions in post #2 on how to provide a preliminary DDS log, which is used for analysis.
"BEFORE you POST"(Read this Procedure Before Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Best regards. :)