PDA

View Full Version : Question about upgrading from 1.3 to 1.4

Gensuknives
2005-10-24, 20:44
I just noticed that you are now running Spybot 1.4....... I am currently using version 1.3, and have continuously gotten bad checksum errors in attempting to download upgrade detection rules, etc since August, like others.

My question is this: How do I upgrade to 1.4??? Can I simply download the entire version 1.4 as a download, and then install it? Or do I need to remove the old version from my computer memory FIRST??

Love the security I have gotten from this program from day one several years ago when I first downloaded it.

Congrats on the new changes.;)

md usa spybot fan
2005-10-24, 21:36
"Bad Checksum" are not caused but the fact that you are running Spybot 1.3. "Bad Checksum" problems can be overcome in most cases by changing the download server (site) as follows:
Do not click "Search for Updates" again.
Using the pull-down site selection menu (between the "Search for Updates" and "Download Updates" buttons) select another server.
After changing the download server click "Download Updates" again.
If you get another "Bad Checksum", repeated Steps 2 & 3 (using a 3rd or 4th server if necessary) until all updates are received.
Try these servers (at this time):
Safer Networking #1 (Europe)
Safer Networking #2 (Europe)
Although it doesn't help with the "Bad Checksum" problem, I recommend that you upgrade to Spybot 1.4 as long as you are not running Windows 95. The downloads are here:
Download Spybot-S&D
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

I personally recommend that you uninstall Spybot-S&D 1.3 before installing Spybot 1.4 as follows (sounds involved but it only take a couple of minutes):

Uninstall Spybot-S&D 1.3:
Go into Spybot > Immunize
Click "Undo" button (at the top)
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
"Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer"

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks.
Uncheck (if checked) any of the following "Miscellaneous locks":
Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers
Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)
Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user)

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file
Click the "Remove Spybot S&D hosts list" button (at the top)

Exit Spybot-S&D
Make sure that TeaTimer is not running by checking for the TeaTimer System Tray Icon. If the icon is there:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident. TeaTimer should close.

Go to Windows > Control panel > Add or Remove Programs > Locate "Spybot – Search & Destroy 1.3" > Remove.
Using Windows explorer, verified that the following folder has been delete. If not, delete it:C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Optional (not needed of you are installing the new version) - If you want to make sure that all the registry entries that Spybot-S&D added during installation are removed, there is a .reg file available on the safer-networking.org WEB site that can do that. See the following article:
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
How to uninstall?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.html
The direct download link is:
remove-spybotsd-settings.reg (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg)
Download the file.
Double click on it
Answer Yes then OK

Optional (not needed of you are installing the new version) - Delete the Configuration.ini fileThe Configuration.ini file is stored in one of the following folders:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Install Spybot-S&D 1.4:
Execute spybotsd14.exe downloaded above.
Do not change the default installation path of:C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy