PDA

View Full Version : Spybot removed rundll32.exe. Got it back but...

BLewellyn
2011-04-13, 22:11
Hi...

I dunno if I have a virus or what but this morning I got a pop-up from what purported to be Spybot advising me to remove rundll.exe. I clicked OK and now I can't use my control panel. The error I get is Windows can't find C:\WINDOWS\System\rundll.exe. sigh...

I have tried this fix (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/t/19280744.aspx)from Dell and it worked but I am wondering, based on what I have been reading as I researched fixing this, whether I should be concerned about investigating further. I think something also changed my screen saver from the Avast one that scans the PC every time it runs. I have run a full Avast scan and it found nothing.

Uh oh, just realized that I have lost the number and symbol row on my keyboard again. sigh... OK, I'll have to try to fix this too. I can't remember what I did to fix it before but I know I can get it fixed. geeze...

I should probably note that this is a brand new reinstall with a dual boot with Linux Ubuntu 10.10. I decided on a reinstall because I could not get rid of whatever it was I had before. I used Ubuntu to take over the whole hard drive, did a fix MBR, and then reinstalled windows and ubuntu again so I don't see how anything could have survived. I used a flash drive to install the antivirus and Comodo Firewall before I connected to the Internet.. Just scanned it and Avast says it is clean. Could I have a Bios Virus? I know they are rare but....

B

B