PDA

View Full Version : Laptop with XP issues

XThreadBolt
2011-05-02, 18:14
Hi all,
I am not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes..

I have a laptop ( computer A ) that is now virtually useless since a USB memory sticks files infected it, and infected this computer ( Computer B ) I am using now.
Computer B required a complete re-install of OS, I paid to get it done.

However, computer A has many files I need to access and the following is what it does or not do.

1. Copy & Paste does not work
2. Most services are disfunctional
2a System Restore, Help, Find, Services cannot access with right mouse click
2a Send To, Move files to folder, Lost ALL VBA projects, cannot re-install using CD drive.
3. Tried to copy files from "DOS" shell, nothing works etc etc etc, the list goes on.

So in effect it is crippled. All I can do is boot it up and look at my files.

I am not sure, but I have a few ideas.

One of them is; I still have an original box of floppy discs , Windows 3.11.
But I know if i try to install, it will format my drive and lose everything anyway. Ifg I can install 3.11, hopefully I can acces my files from DOS??

The other option,
is to find some tools I can download and try to use from a USB memory stick and access my files, at least get the ones that are zipped and hopefull the VBA projects are stil intact in the zipped folders.

Anyone have any suggestions I will be more than willing to try.
There is no real urgency, but I would like to get these files off the laptop, that way I can put the laptop in some better use again. ( COMPAQ Presario 2000 )
I don't mind if this is a learning project for others to learn from to.

Thanks in advance

shelf life
2011-05-03, 00:07
Heres a option;
You might try using a 'Live' linux distro. Most have the option of running off the cd/dvd itself without actually having to install to the HD. Once running you can mount Windows and you should have access to your files. Then you can move them to a USB or burn to cd/dvd. Your machine would have to be able to boot from its CD/DVD drive, probably not a problem. You would also need to download and burn a bootable linux distro.
A screenshot of a older Ubuntu edition. You would find the hard dive and Windows listed under 'places'. Double click it to browse the Windows files. Also shown is the 1.0GB USB drive thats can be used to transfer files.

LiveCD (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD)

XThreadBolt
2011-05-03, 00:34
Thanks, I'll try your suggestion with Linux.

Just for the record, here is one of the viruses that seems to cling itself to the USB Stick each time I place it in USB port of PC A and then in PC B.

Scan "Scan specific files or folders" completed.
Infections;"1";"1";"0"
Folders selected for scanning:;"G:\RECYCLER\;"
Scan started:;"Tuesday, 3 May 2011, 12:07:21 AM"
Scan finished:;"Tuesday, 3 May 2011, 12:07:27 AM (6 second(s))"
Total object scanned:;"4"
User who launched the scan:;"owner"

Infections
;"File";"Infection";"Result"
;"G:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1482476501-1644491937-682003330-1013\isi32.exe";"Trojan horse Generic_c.AJUZ";"Moved to Virus Vault"

It also has the another worm called AutoRun-BF, but got removed just before this post.
I have to do a scan with AVG each time after I have used a USB stick and swap to other PC.
Because PC A is "crippled", I cannot used the "Find" function to look for these pests manually.

Will let you know how I go with Linux.

XThreadBolt
2011-05-03, 00:59
shelf life,

Question,
Do I download on to USB stick or on HD of Computer B ?
From the instructions it is not clear that I download to Computer B then Install onto USB stick, then run or boot in Computer A.

Thanks

shelf life
2011-05-03, 03:23
Is G; the usb drive? Recycler is the recycle bin.
You would download the linux distro to computer B, burn it to cd then put the cd in computer a and boot from it.
Can you get on the internet with computer a? We could try cleaning it up first and maybe get it functional enough to salvage your files. Do you have somewhat updated antivirus on it? You could download some more utilities to run. Once its clean of malware everything may function more normally unless it has other problems. Its another option anyway.

XThreadBolt
2011-05-03, 05:35
Ok, some progress,

Computer A Installed from CD, I had a CD I got from a computer repair shop, he sold it to me for $20.00, he wanted $50.00!
I told him at the time I am only prepaired to pay $20 because I can go to any Internet cafe, pay anyway, and I got my distro.
I thought he sold me the complete Ubuntu, but no, I only got the one on CD now.
I just read, it was suppose to be given away, oh well, live and learn.

Anyway, Computer Booted up with CD, have error message.

Error says

The panel encountered a problem while loading.
"OADIID:GNOME_FastUserSwitchApplet".

Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration"

Don't Delete Delete

????

But the screen shows a desktop, { Applications Places System ) O ?

On desktop has a file called "Examples"

and, Icon say's "Install Ubuntu 9.10"

Computer A is on, screen is on, etc,
wait for reply,

do I press; Don't delete or Delete ?

XThreadBolt
2011-05-03, 14:46
Success!

I went on with it and pressed "Don't Delete".

Got to my files, and one particular Excel project I backed up with Zip.

All intact and VBA in good working order from the Zipped Excel files when tested on Computer B.

The USB stick did not get the virus either, AVG in Computer B did not pick up anything while Computer A was operational with Ubuntu Live and when change over USB stick from A to B.

I think it's solved, can access files.

Thank you for those directions.

shelf life
2011-05-03, 22:44
Ok good, you recovered your files.
Yes linux distro's may ask for and solicit donations on there web site but its not required to download them. They could also come as a minimal single CD, several CD's or DVD's. I suppose the shop owner could technically be charging you for his time to download, the cd itself and burning of the cd.

XThreadBolt
2011-05-04, 06:08
I suppose the shop owner could technically be charging you for his time to download, the cd itself and burning of the cd.

Yes, meant no harm, but $50??
that is why I offered $20, his time, the CD.
It would have cost same had I gone to internet cafe, ( more if one include petrol, parking fees etc)
Had no internet at the time, both PC A & B were down and time was running out then due to a newsletter edition needed to be ready for printing, all on PC A!

You see, ( in principle) this is where these virus making idiots do not realize, the newsletter I do is for a non-for profit charity organisation, for community health stuff.
Information in that newsletter can help save a life, ( an extreme example). So because some idiot want to proliferate the world with computer viruses, and affect others they don't even know, it actually can become "life changing" for the wrong reason.
A bit like quantum physics- Action/Re-Action.

How much other information, services, downtime etc is caused due to some nut-case that has not anything better to do with their computer program knowledge ?

The newsletter got through, that's the main thing.

I still have errors with PC A, very slow, sometimes crash trying to load Unbuntu, and during using it it will freeze,
but I guess that is for Ubuntu forums ?

shelf life
2011-05-05, 00:16
I agree, $50 is ridiculous. Ubuntu or any live distro will run a lot slower when it has to access files from the cd. Should improve if you install it to the HD. Some distros may be better than others for older PC's.
You might also try the live Cds for Mint or PCLinuxOS if your new to linux. All the distro's can be found here. (http://distrowatch.com/) Complete with links to reviews, download mirrors etc. The linux distro test. (http://thelinuxnewbie.blogspot.com/2006/08/how-to-pick-linux-distro-distribution.html)
Have you considered reformatting and reinstalling Windows as a option? Providing you have reinstall media or maybe there is a restore partition on the drive itself.

XThreadBolt
2011-05-05, 17:48
Have you considered reformatting and reinstalling Windows as a option? Providing you have reinstall media or maybe there is a restore partition on the drive itself.

Well, at the moment I am cleaning out PC A with Ubuntu.
Once I get all files I need, then I need to consider which Ubuntu version/distro etc; best suits PC A.

The main point being internet via VodaFone USB stick.
The VodaFone Install Disk that I have is not compatible with Ubuntu, but I read somehwere this now is fixed ?

Not sure what you mean by "restore partition on drive".
"System Restore" through XP does not function. All functions seem "crippled".

Even if I do re-format drive, I have no set-up disk for PC A.
Nothing what so ever.
PC A has been in the family for long time and no one knows where all it's set-up disks are.
It is old, needs knew battery because it does not hold charge, microphone jacks don't work, no internal burner or DVD.

So I guess it is wise to consider get a new battery at least and keep it for learn Ubuntu, and newsletter purpose only, and we don't do newlsetter permanent, the position is rotated every 1 or 2 years.
I got 18 months to go because there is no replacement at this point in time.

Who ever is next can "inherit" PC A !

Or, it gets recycled, depending on cost of new battery.

Personaly, would be interesting to see what it's limits are by installing Ubuntu and VodaFone the way it is.
Then can evaluate for new battery.

It is running straight from battery charger. If I unplug it, PC A "sleeps", will not hold charge.

So far it has been a good learning experience.

Any suggestions are most welcomed.

shelf life
2011-05-06, 01:06
hi,

VodaFone Install Disk
Most likely this disk is only for a Windows OS. Either a linux distro would support this outright, or you would have to download additional software once Linux is installed.
VodaFone issues. (http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=80850138)

A restore partition is a separate area of the hard drive that would contain the original Windows installation. The computer manufacturer may have installed this, maybe not. Back in the 'old' days you would get a Windows OS disk, now you may get a restore partition on the HD or re-install disks or no disks. Depends on the manufacturer. After a few years most people cant find the media the computer came with.
New batteries can be expensive. (http://www.daily-battery.com/compaq-presario-v2000.htm)
Try Ubuntu, you can always reinstall over it with another distro if you wanted to.