PDA

View Full Version : Spybot won't let me purge a Fraud.windowsrecovery malware threat; please help.

msmarmite
2011-05-11, 15:11
My laptop was infected with the Fraud.windowsrecovery malware. I ran an updated Spybot scan to identify and remove it; S&D created a backup of Fraud.windowsrecovery but won't let me purge this backup? I got this message: Cannot create File C:\program\data\spybot Search & Destroy recovery overview.ini Access is denied. I'm afraid it's still on my computer?

When I shut down; at the last possible second I see something ominous--either a pop-up with some Asian writing or a little robot with x's for eyes and a tongue sticking out--both making me very nervous.

I was able to unhide my files but unable to back them up on a DVD--suddenly my Windows Media Player is not working.

If it helps--I'm using Vista Home Premium as my OS, my browser is Google Chrome.

I'd really appreciate any help or advice you can provide; thanks in advance. Please be very specific as I'm not experienced with any of this.

tashi
2011-05-11, 16:39
Hello msmarmite,

In case you missed it please see the FAQ which also includes guidelines for this forum and instructions in post #2 on how to provide preliminary "DDS" logs used for analysis.
"BEFORE You POST"(Please read this Procedure Before Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then start a new topic providing the DDS logs as shown in that sticky and a volunteer analyst will advise you when available. :)

If DDS won't run and produce a log please start a new topic anyway and explain the situation.

Best regards.