PDA

View Full Version : SDTray.exe, SDWelcome.exe and explorer.exe freeze

non_pc
2011-05-15, 05:26
Hello,

Today I tried to install Spybot S&D 2.0 Beta1 on my computer.
After reboot, SDTray.exe freezes and consume full CPU usage. I killed this process and open C:\ but explorer freezes and no window showed up.
SDWelcome.exe also freezes consuming CPU.

Even I reboot into "Diagnosis startup mode" this issue still happen.
I already tried to uncheck some install options (disable realtime protection, explorer integration etc) but no effect.

I'm using these software alongside:
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32bit (Japanese)/ avast! Free-Antivirus 6 / Comodo Internet Security (Firewall/Defence+)

Is there anything I can do for fixing this? Thanks in advance.

spybotsandra
2011-05-16, 15:51
Hello,

Do you also have installed any old version of Spybot?
Probably the TeaTimer is still active?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

non_pc
2011-05-16, 16:18
Just now I found the cause: seeing Process Monitor and found this string at the tail of the list.

SDWelcome.exe - RegQueryValue - HKCU\Environment\PATH - BUFFER OVERFLOW - Length:144

Empty this key solved the problem. Now I can start SDWelcome.exe and explorer. :eek:
My old key string is as follows:

C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\

Do you also have installed any old version of Spybot?
Probably the TeaTimer is still active?
Yes I have old Spybot installed but TeaTimer is disabled.

Anyway thanks much for your response, and of course new version of Spybot. :thanks:

non_pc
2011-05-16, 17:31
Trouble... explorer freezes again. Process Monitor says many "BUFFER OVERFLOW" happens in explorer.exe.

Nearly unusable...:sad:

Videotape
2011-05-16, 18:56
Prior to uninstalling it I had exactly the same problem. Other security software running on my system are the same as non_pc's i.e. Avast 6 free and Comodo FW. Could be a conflict?

Tom.K
2011-05-16, 22:03
Did you tried to temporarily disable one of those protections?

Videotape
2011-05-17, 00:18
I didn't. After Spybot installed my system started lagging, Spybot was using 50%+ CPU and by double clicking the desktop icon it would jump to 100% making my system completely unresponsive. I had to force restart several times and finally uninstalled it in safe mode...

non_pc
2011-05-17, 13:01
Did you tried to temporarily disable one of those protections?
Yes (both avast and Comodo), even I uninstall Comodo before installing Spybot this problem persists.
And there is a report at avast forum that avast and Spybot beta can run together (real-time protection are disabled though, but I use same settings) so I don't think this is so called conflict.
(Yes, there are many posts that talked down Spybot so if you don't like to see such posts please don't see it.)
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=78138.0

My guess is either Comodo or avast rewrites some registry keys and this causes buffer overflow. Maybe Comodo, or win7 specific...

I'll try installing Spybot beta again later today.
If I make memory dump when freezing happens, can this help you to figure out what's wrong?

non_pc
2011-05-19, 14:13
Update. Installing Spybot 2.0 beta1 again without any resident protection and so far no crash.

Spybot itself works fine and found some "tracker" things. If anything happens I'll update this thread.