PDA

View Full Version : Safe list

Wings_of_Titanium
2011-06-19, 11:58
G'day everyone.

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I've been searching for days and can't seem to find an answer. Spybot seems to be interfering with Steam, causing launch troubles and halting downloads. As I'm otherwise quite happy with Spybot, I'd like to just add Steam to a safe/trusted list. After several false leads, I still can't seem to find the relevant option anywhere.. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

spybotsandra
2011-06-20, 10:50
Hello,

I am sorry, but I do not know "Steam". Is it a website or a program?

There should not be any problems with the compatibility.
If some parts would conflict, just those parts could be disabled.

That's the way to to disable the resident feature of Spybot - Search & Destroy: run Spybot-S&D, switch to the "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" --> hit "YES" --> select "Tools" in the navigation bar on the left --> "Resident" and there you can untick the check boxes in front of the two tools.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Wings_of_Titanium
2011-06-20, 21:39
Oh, I'm sorry! I just assumed it'd be famous enough not to elaborate.

It's a program used for the digital distribution of video games. The games are bought, downloaded, and run through Steam. The games require Steam in order to run, presumably for copyright reasons. If Steam doesn't run, I can't play most of the games I own.

I've just tried what you suggested, and the problem persists. Perhaps I'm in error about Spybot being the program Steam conflicts with. In any case, thanks for your help.

spybotsandra
2011-06-21, 10:16
Hello,

Ah, OK.
Spybot-Search & Destroy should not conflict with Steam.
I am sorry, but I do not think that the problem is a result of our software.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Wings_of_Titanium
2011-06-21, 21:28
It's listed on Steam's tech support FAQ as a potential conflict, but I think in this case you're right. It's a red herring! I'll have to try and hunt down the true culprit.