PDA

View Full Version : Blocking trusted scanning programs?

HooHaa
2006-08-02, 18:47
Curiosity is getting to me. I noted that Spybot is now identifying BPS Spyware Remover as a threat.

Interestingly, I note that BPS Spyware Remover is now identifying Spybot as a thread (along with Ad-Aware). The only explanations given by BPS is that Spybot (and Ad-Aware) is considered "attackware" for it's unlawful removal of BPS Spayware Remover entries in the registry.

So... a LARGE question looms... why is BPS Spyware Remover considered a threat by Spybot? Is this some sort of continuing "battle" for which the individual user(s) will have to suffer? Or is it merely a passing thing?

Serious replies will be MOST appreciated - especially from Spybot personnel.

Thank you

md usa spybot fan
2006-08-02, 19:12
HooHaa:

Is the "Spyware Remover" that is being identified any of the "Spyware Remover" products identified in the following independent listing (the last perhaps)?
The Spyware Warrior List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites by Eric L. Howes
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Spyware Remover

topics-ent.com

no trial version locatable online; inadequate info about company & app (1) [A: 12-20-04 / U: 12-20-04]

Spyware Remover

adware.privacy-solution.com

uses flawed, inadequate detection scheme; uses out-of-date ref database [A: 4-7-05 / U: 4-7-05]

Spyware Remover

advancedsearchbar.com

uses flawed, inadequate detection scheme; ridiculous false positives - Note: formerly included w/ Advanced SearchBar (ASB); no longer in distribution w/ ASB [A: 2-14-06 / U: 4-23-06]

SpywareRemover

hijack-this.com
msantispy.com
microsoftantispyware.net
microsoftantispy.com
free-spybot.com
spy-bot.com

false positives work as goad to purchase; uses inadequate ref database; expolits name "spybot" (1, 2); exploits name "Microsoft AntiSpyware" (1, 2, 3); exploits name "Hijack This" (1); same app as AdwareDeluxe, AdwarePatrol, AdwareRemover, AdwareSafety, AdwareTools, AlertSpy, Doctor Adware, Doctor Adware Pro, PestBot, PestProtector, SpyAdvanced, SpyDestroy Pro, SpywareRemoval, & SpywareXP; same company as MicroAntivirus [A: 3-25-05 / U: 9-18-05]

SpywareRemover
spy-ware-remover.com
front for BPS Spyware & Adware Remover (itself an Ad-aware rip-off); associated w/ SpyForce.com [A: 6-26-04 / U: 6-26-04]

tashi
2006-08-02, 19:16
Also see:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/threats/287.html

BPS Spyware Remover 2003-05-03 17:36:34
Company BulletProofSoft

Description: Uses a stolen Spybot-S&D database and is therefore a copyright infringement.

HooHaa
2006-08-02, 20:15
Apparently this is all old information and allegations based upon the dates of the cited article links. One would think these legal matters would have been resolved by all parties by now.

In the interim I'll merely tag the "threats" in all three sacnners as "ignored" and carry on.

In any event, thank you for the prompt replies.

md usa spybot fan
2006-08-02, 21:28
HooHaa:

You originally asked why there appears to a conflict between both Spybot and Ad-Aware with BPS Spyware Remover. I attempted to cite an independent source which you dismissed with:

Apparently this is all old information and allegations based upon the dates of the cited article links.
If you feel that the information in The Spyware Warrior List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites (http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm) is inaccurate or outdate and are truly interested in finding out the truth whether or not BPS Spyware Remover is a valid anti-malware product, I suggest that you use the contact information provided in the SpywareWarrior article and express your viewpoint:
SpywareWarrior.com
feedback@spywarewarrior.com
To others reading this post:

The Spyware Warrior List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites (http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm) appears to be reviewed on a regular basis and it also appears that products that originally appeared as "Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products" on the list are de-listed when appropriate corrective action has been taken. I personally believe that it is a good reference.