PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a pair of AntiVirus + AntiSpyware

Guardyangel
2011-06-21, 00:36
Hello all.

I'm sorry if, since i'm a new member, i'm streching the line by asking this question. I'm very confused on what AntiVirus and AntiSpyware to choose. Some days ago i got disapointed with AVG cause it didnt detect a trojan on my windows/system32 folder, named ez(something).exe (cant remember the name). I just know it messed with cdd_host.sys file, making my OS suicidal (it rebooted automaticaly every 5 mins). Even when i pressed "analize with AVG" directly!!! on the file, it said it was ok... lol had to download other programs to erase it, but the damage was done on the pc. So, basicaly i would like to know what should i use, since i'm surfing the net for hours and cant decide.

the list i made so far:

antivirus + antispyware (?):
Lavasoft Ad-Ware
Microsoft Security Essentials

Antivirus only (?):
Avira AntiVir

Antispyware:
SpyBot S&D
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes

If someone expert on this subject could help me, by choosing or improving this list, i would be much apreciated.

Btw, my system was Vista, but i downgraded to Windows XP SP3 (and im happy :) ).

Thanks for your attention

tashi
2011-06-21, 00:45
Hello Guardyangel. :welcome:

I'm very confused on what AntiVirus and AntiSpyware to choose.

Long thread about anti virus programs with discussion by members. recommended anti virus (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9289)

Best regards.

Guardyangel
2011-06-21, 00:47
Hey, thank you :)

I've already peeked on that thread, but ill give it a full read then.
Btw, the file was ezshellstart.exe. remembered now.

Best regards.

Guardyangel
2011-06-21, 01:23
Are Avast and Avira compatible with Spybot? Or they make the same thing and could get in conflict? And when i install spybot, should i also install Teatime?

thanks a lot

tashi
2011-06-21, 05:48
Hello Guardyangel,

Are Avast and Avira compatible with Spybot? Or they make the same thing and could get in conflict?

Spybot-S&D is not an anti virus program. The application searches for spyware, malware, adware, trojans, hijackers and keyloggers.

More than one anti spyware program can be installed at the same time. One may choose which resident/s (real time protection) to be active. What works for one person's computing may not for another.

Rule of thumb is one firewall/one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

And when i install spybot, should i also install Teatime?

That is your decision, one that can be reversed either way.

Hope these links are useful. :)

How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware. (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281)
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/tutorial/index.html

Guardyangel
2011-06-21, 16:06
Hello tashi,

thank you for your time :) After some research I chose Avira, and it happens to be the AV you recomend on the website lol. Just a last question: Can I have Avira and Spybot resident or do i have to deactivate one of them?

spybotsandra
2011-06-21, 16:10
Hello,

You can run both. :)
I also have both installed at home with resident on.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Guardyangel
2011-06-21, 22:46
Ok. Thank you for the fast and good help you both gave me. This thread can be closed.

Regards