PDA

View Full Version : SpyBot Beta 2 Thoughts and Problems

LordKitsuna
2011-06-24, 01:10
Ok so i was fairly exited when i saw that a beta was available and i have been using it for a few days but i am sadly disappointed.

1.the installer allows you to choose not to install on access scanners but should you do so starting spybot will display an annoying message telling you important files are missing.

2.default scanning rules now include tracking i find this rather annoying and it confuses most average users. it was better back when it was an option you are now confusing less techy users by making a list and they will think they had a bunch of malware now i know you state what tracking is but most users (sadly) wont read it.

3.the right click "scan with spybot" is currently useless as all it does is open up spybots setting page. this i am sure is just a bug and will be resolved.

4. the interface while looking nice could be cleaned up just a bit group a few things and some dialogue boxes need fixing such as the update. while updating spybot will list off what its doing however there is no size limit set to the box so as spybot does more it gets so long that it goes off-screen.

5.I can't seem to tell if spybot is trying to become a full AV solution or not. in the last one it was clear it was a on demand scanner and the tea-timer for protection, now it seems like you are trying to be a full AV yet it is not stated if spybot will clash with other AV software that does on access scans (such as Avast!)

6.if spybot is indeed moving to the world of full AV you should consider something like what Avast! has while it does have a scanner that scans on load or write it also has one that scans files as they are downloaded instead of once it is written to the hard drive, and full system scans will add clean files to a cache so that they will not be scanned again unless they are changed (i assume it does this via hashes of some kind). this serves to speedup scans and minimize impact on performance. i myself actually don't even install the file shield i simply install the web,im,network,behavioral shields and then do a full system scan after install. i don't use flash drives or portable media so anything coming onto my pc is via the web so the file shield is redundant since everything is scanned as i download it.

7.make a second skin for your program a dark one :) black with white text. lol this is just a personal preference and while the default is nice and most users will prefer it. it would be nice to have the option to switch to something darker

LordKitsuna
2011-06-24, 01:27
cant seem to find edit button but i also forgot to mention the number of popups is annoying. like when scanning why does it need to both show progress in the main window as well as opening a popup? that's just pointless