PDA

View Full Version : Shredder - Activating

Sandy1000
2011-07-19, 15:33
Hello,

When I first installed SB a few weeks ago on XP, I could right click on a file and see a shred file option. (This is how I became aware of the function.) I am now on a new pc running Win 7. I do not see the option to shred a file when I right click on it.

Does this make sense? I don't want to have to open the SB/shredder window each time. Especially since I get the put a disk in error message on this new installation (seems to be related to USB port usage).

Thanks.

Sandy

spybotsandra
2011-07-25, 15:52
Hello Sandy,

Spybot version 1.6 had the single files scan in the context menu.
But there were so many complaints that we have decided to hide this feature in our new Spybot version 1.6.2.

You have to activate it manually.
Enter your "Start" Windows panel on the lower left, choose "run" and enter the following command line parameter to activate it:
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDFiles.exe" /register

After that you'll get a notification that the command was successful executed.

Now you can right click on a file and click on the tab Spybot - S&D.
The single file will be scanned.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Stoneage
2011-10-15, 04:13
Hello Sandy,

Spybot version 1.6 had the single files scan in the context menu.
But there were so many complaints that we have decided to hide this feature in our new Spybot version 1.6.2.

You have to activate it manually.
Enter your "Start" Windows panel on the lower left, choose "run" and enter the following command line parameter to activate it:
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDFiles.exe" /register

After that you'll get a notification that the command was successful executed.

Now you can right click on a file and click on the tab Spybot - S&D.
The single file will be scanned.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Sandra, it seems that Sandy's original question is asking about shredding files but your answer says: The single file will be scanned. Did you mean: The single file will be "shredded"?
Also, if SDFiles.exe is the shredder executable, that command line will not work if the shredder box was not checked during the install. If Spybot was installed without the Secure Shredder option, it appears necessary to reinstall with that option checked off. Could you verify that I am correct on this?
I reinstalled Spybot with the Secure Shredder option because I had some financial files that I wanted to shred. After uninstalling Spybot and reinstalling with the shredder option, I clicked on the Windows menu to start the shredder. It immediately began shredding some files. I am not even sure what was shredded. I think that this is not the best design for this tool especially when that form of delete is permanent. When the File Shredder option is chosen from the menu, everyone should have the option to look at the files to be shredded and set the deletion/shredding parameters first, then manually click on chop away after that.

Stoneage
2011-10-15, 04:35
I reinstalled Spybot with the Secure Shredder option because I had some financial files that I wanted to shred. After uninstalling Spybot and reinstalling with the shredder option, I clicked on the Windows menu to start the shredder. It immediately began shredding some files. I could not tell what was shredded.

I think that this is not the best design for this tool especially when that form of delete is permanent. When the File Shredder option is chosen from the menu, everyone should have the option to look at the files to be shredded and set the deletion/shredding parameters first, then manually click on chop away after that.

Also, it appears that if the Secure Shredder option was not checked off during the Spybot install, there is no way to add the software module later without uninstalling Spybot and reinstalling it with that option. I think that it would be better to always install File Shredder but use the Advanced Options menu to turn off and on the shredder function.