PDA

View Full Version : Operating System Re-installation Question

DrewMac6191
2011-08-10, 06:16
Hello everyone,
I'm new here and I am just looking for some advice.
Sorry for the noob-like question but...
Does re-installing your operating system remove all types of malicious software?
I am pretty sure it will remove everything on my computer, but I still wonder if there is a way my computer could be corrupt enough to still contain unwanted software upon reinstallation. If this is true does anyone have any suggestions for me?
I run Windows 7 on a HP laptop and, although I am confident in Spybot S&D, I still know there is something messing with my laptop. Neither Avira or Microsoft SE can find it. Although Spybot finds certain things, they always come back.
The real question here is whether a reinstallation of my OS will guarantee a fresh start.
Thanks in advance,
Drew McClelland

imageek
2011-08-10, 14:46
Reformat your pc and you'll be fine. ;)

Wakefield
2011-08-10, 15:45
Anyone have any suggestions as to how he can keep malware/viri off right after the reformat,when he has to go online to get updates software replacement and antivirus/antispyware? Turn on or get a firewall first?

tashi
2011-08-10, 15:52
Hello DrewMac6191, :welcome:

Neither Avira or Microsoft SE can find it.

Two anti virus programs installed and running?
Rule of thumb is one firewall/one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

Although Spybot finds certain things, they always come back.

I still know there is something messing with my laptop. Neither Avira or Microsoft SE can find it

Could you be more specific please. :)

Best regards.

DrewMac6191
2011-08-11, 00:04
Two anti virus programs installed and running?
Rule of thumb is one firewall/one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

I will remember this when I reinstall my OS. It hasn't caused any problems yet so I didn't really see a problem with it.

Someone mentioned reformatting my PC? is this the same as reformatting your hardrive?
Is there a difference between reformatting your HD and reinstalling your OS?
I looked on google for the answers to these questions but couldn't find any.
And to Tashi,
The reason I didn't explain the problems I was having was because I can't really explain what they are. @_@
I know that sounds weird but the only explanation I can offer you is my computer loads when I'm not asking it to do anything, my screen occasionally flashes, and when I boot up my comp the login screen always flashes before I log in. Things that just make me nervous but might not have any significance at all.
The things that Spybot S&D kept picking up that came back were COOKIES! lol I feel stupid now. Google cookies none-the-less.
Spybot has been able to detect almost everything, but the reason i'm still concerned is that... I may or may not have given a Trojan 'admin privileges'.... X(
Any my computer has never been the same since.

I just want to start my computer over so I know it's healthy and I can protect it the right way. I've always had spyware/malwarephobia.?
Final question....
I want to back up some of the music and videos I have on my computer. I was thinking of backing up this stuff online. Anyone have any suggestions of what online storage is the best?
Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance,
Drew McClelland

tashi
2011-08-11, 00:44
Hi DrewMac6191,

I just want to start my computer over so I know it's healthy and I can protect it the right way. I've always had spyware/malwarephobia.?
Final question....
I want to back up some of the music and videos I have on my computer. I was thinking of backing up this stuff online. Anyone have any suggestions of what online storage is the best?

So how did I get infected in the first place? ( http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279 )

Before you do anything I'd suggest you register and start a topic at WTT in this forum: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=119 providing a link back to this topic.

Volunteer Techies there can advise and guide you through the stages should you decide to reformat. How to Reformat and Reinstall your Operating System (http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=91962)

Hope that helps.