louzandy
2011-08-26, 17:46
BTW... Spybot does NOT find anything..... thanks in advance

tashi
2011-08-26, 18:40
Hello louzandy,

computer is running slow... could I have a virus or am I being " watched "

That would be guessing. ;)

Slowness can be caused by many things and is not always due to an infection. :)
To try and narrow things down a bit please give more details; your operating system, RAM/Memory, security programs installed and any other symptoms presenting.

Best regards,

louzandy
2011-08-26, 19:00
XP, service pk 3, 2 gig memory & spybot -)

tashi
2011-08-26, 19:07
Hi there,

XP, service pk 3, 2 gig memory & spybot -)

No anti virus program?

louzandy
2011-08-26, 19:43
oops AVG.... downloading Microsoft Essentials now....

tashi
2011-08-26, 19:48
Hello louzandy,

Don't have two anti virus programs installed at the same time please. So how did I get infected in the first place? ( http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279 )

and any other symptoms presenting.

Best regards.

louzandy
2011-08-26, 19:51
thanks.. disabling AVG

louzandy
2011-08-26, 19:54
any ideas ? thanks in advance.... I also have Malware bytes which finds only cookie trackers.

tashi
2011-08-26, 20:11
any ideas ? thanks in advance.... I also have Malware bytes which finds only cookie trackers.

Hello louzandy,

I have asked twice if any other symptoms are presenting, :p: (aside from the slowness), still waiting for an answer on that please. :)

It's always best to give as many details as possible, did you just install MBAM or was it installed previously before the issue/s arose?

Best regards.

louzandy
2011-08-26, 20:22
sorry... just slowness

louzandy
2011-08-26, 20:25
just slow at times.... mbam has been on for awhile

louzandy
2011-08-26, 21:02
mbam was on long before this problem...

imageek
2011-08-26, 21:20
thanks.. disabling AVG

AVG still has stuff running in the background which may inflict with another anti virus program. You have to uninstall it.

And keep in mind, always delete unnecessary programs you don't need/use. Download and run CCleaner from www.filehippo.com.

louzandy
2011-08-26, 21:25
gotcha.....& thanks

louzandy
2011-08-29, 17:37
so... that said... is there a report I can run to perhaps determine if there's a hidden logger program running ? mbam & spybot do NOT find anything... I now have microsoft essentials ( removed AVG )

Thanks in advance everyone !

lz

imageek
2011-08-29, 18:16
What processor do you use?
How much free space on the hard drive do you have?
When you start task manager, do you see high usage in physical memory and/or CPU Usage?

tashi
2011-08-29, 18:28
Hello louzandy,

The computer may of course be infected although your posts have not given indication of a keylogger, only that the computer was running slowly.

In order for someone to take a look at the system please start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) and a volunteer analyst will advise when available.

First see that forum's FAQ which also includes instructions in post #2 on how to provide DDS logs, which are the logs used for first contact analysis.
"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Also provide a link back to this thread.

Best regards. :)

louzandy
2011-08-29, 18:44
Intel duo Core CPU, 2 gigs ram, 100 gigs free space on C:

louzandy
2011-08-29, 18:46
high useage on msmpeng.exe 47000k

tashi
2011-08-29, 18:50
Hello louzandy,

I edited out my post because I missed that you were responding to imageek.

Please quote in further to avoid mishaps and also try to contain the information in one post. ;)

Thanks.

imageek
2011-08-29, 19:05
Looks normal.

And I have to say it's a very small chance of being infected when both MBAM and Spybot doesn't detect a malware. And infections isn't the onliest thing that can cause slowness. You can try to only run one real-time scanner(only the antivirus). Only use one firewall. One last thing, right-click recycle bin and hit "Open CCleaner". Hit "Tools" and then hit "Startup". Disable everything which is unneeded to being started up at startup. This will decrease your startup time, something which is good. An example is DaemonTools, or Steam, or Skype. Only 15 of my 40 items in my startup menu is set to "enable at startup".

Anyway, if it really bothers you (the slowness), and you can't figure out what's wrong, just defragment.

tashi
2011-09-06, 20:01
Hello louzandy,

and also try to contain the information in one post. ;)

Malware forum topic: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=412217#post412217

:eek:

Please do not start more than one topic for the same computer during the same period. It will either be removed, closed or merged with your original thread.

Posting additional comments or logs before a volunteer responds can push you back instead of forward, because your thread ends up with a newer date. In addition helpers would think you are already being assisted because of the post count, they look for topics with a 0 response. For that reason we may merge such posts but please do not count on it.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Best regards. :)