PDA

View Full Version : How do i stop the same adware everyday ?

okgbgkb
2011-09-14, 22:13
Sorry new to the grp not sure if this is the right place and
maybe an obvious question , but
I can run spybot daily and get the same adware , spyware
[ and in fact , in increasing instances ]
Is there a way of stopping casle media or double click or the others
from appearing everyday ?

tia regards Greg

spybotsandra
2011-09-15, 11:13
Hello Greg,

That is no adware, that are cookies.

RightMedia, YieldManager, Doubleclick (and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc.) are so-called tracking cookies. It is quite common for popular websites to employ such tracking cookies from third parties. They use them in order to track the users' surfing habits on their websites. As I said, these cookies are from third parties but they are employed by the site. There is a tool in Spybot-S&D: BrowserHelper, i.e. a bad download blocker for Internet Explorer. With this tool enabled such tracking cookies will be blocked. In order to activate this tool, please run Spybot-S&D and go to the "Tools"->"Resident" page. Checking the checkbox in front of SDHelper will enable the BrowserHelper.

Now open the Tools menu in your Internet Explorer and choose 'Spybot - Search Destroy Configuration'.
There you will find a drop down menu which will appear giving you some options. (3rd picture) (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd15/index.html)
You should select "Block all bad pages silently".
With that option set the notifications will no longer come up, but you will still have the protection.
Further choose "Spybot-S&D->Immunize" from the navigation bar on the left.
Now the baddies are blocked.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

okgbgkb
2011-09-15, 15:35
do the cookies slow windows down much ?
i seem to have everything checked as you mention , although in the stats part of the S&D configuration there are no numbers for allowed or denied .
there are figures for the blacklisted sites & cookies below it .

thanks & regards Greg

okgbgkb
2011-09-15, 18:12
And despite using spybot at least once a week AND using the imunization
those same cookies show up every time , Hmmmm

imageek
2011-09-15, 18:22
You don't need to worry. It's no harm in them, and you get "infected" by them when you enter a internet site which use them on advertising, etc.

okgbgkb
2011-09-15, 19:27
So they don't slow down windows ?
looks like there's nothing to be done , except clean every week
I always feel like I'm making things better using the virus scan , spybot or
Auslogics , thanks

imageek
2011-09-15, 20:13
No, not in particular. However, it's recommended to clean your temporary internet files(that's where the cookies are "hidden" or "saved".) to increase the speed on your system. If something malicious was running in, for instance the ram, your PC would maybe be slowed down. Tracking cookies don't appear like that.