PDA

View Full Version : Rootkit Corrupted OS. Can't Restore System/Repair/Backup.

jinugy
2011-10-28, 05:33
Hi, I'm using Windows 7 Starter SP1, 32-bit. Here's my problem:

When I turned on my laptop yesterday morning, the screen was all black, like the system was hanging. So I decided to take out the batteries, put them back in, and turn the laptop on again (I do this everytime it hangs--no problem whatsoever). Upon turning back on, a black screen with "Windows is loading files..." appeared. When it was done, a blue background picture appeared (which was not my wallpaper, but looked Microsoft-ish), and Startup Repair started. This could've (must've?) been because of a suspicious EXE file I accidentally ran the night before =(

Startup Repair started checking my system for probems. After it was done, it said that Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically. Sending more information can help Microsoft create solutions: 1) Send; 2) Don't send. I didn't send it, cause I can't bloody well connect to the Internet. The problem event name was StartupRepairOffline.

HP's Recovery Manager then popped up. From there, I had three choices: 1) Microsoft system restore, 2) Run computer checkup (I could also run Command Prompt from here), and 3) File backup program. I tried restoring to just before the problems appeared, but it failed. The I tried backing up, but it wouldn't allow me to click "Next" and proceed for certain file types like pictures & videos. I can only backup HTML files and file settings.

So I decided to run HijackThis from an external hard drive by opening Task Manager using Command Prompt. It ran and I saved the log (tell me if you need it). But when I run DDS, the window suddenly closes. When I run GMER, a window popped up, saying that "GMER has found system modification, which might have been caused by rootkit activity. Do you want to fully scan your system?" I clicked no. Then after unchecking "IAT/EAT" and checking "C:\" & "Show all," the app ran for around a minute, then an error message popped up:

"The instruction at 0x0040c676 referenced memory at 0x88e83d2e, The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program."

When I ran GMER again, a BSOD appeared. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x996A4000, 0x00000000, 0x90c69114, 0x00000000)

Please help T_T

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic425384.html

Blade81
2011-11-01, 10:14
Hi,

See if you're able to run DDS here (http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.com).

Blade81
2011-11-11, 10:39
Due to inactivity, this thread will now be closed.

Note:If it has been three days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh DDS log and a link to your previous thread. Please do not add any logs that might have been requested in the closed topic, you would be starting fresh.

If it has been less than three days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or other MOD a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.