PDA

View Full Version : F5 Firepass VPN Not Working After Installing Latest Version of Spybot

kimboinatl
2011-11-05, 22:47
Hey all, hopefully someone here can help me out. I use F5 Firepass VPN to VPN into the network at work. I was using an old version of Spybot and recently upgraded to the newest version. Suddenly my VPN connection would not work. I tried restoring the changes that Spybot made and then uninstalling it, but that didn't seem to help. I also tried restoring my hosts file - I didn't think this would help, but figured it was worth a try. Also, I am connected to my router wirelessly, but my network icons shows me as being connected via ethernet and says I'm connected to an unidentified network ("Unidentified network, no network access" - but I am able to access the Internet). I'm running Windows 7. Any suggestions?

Yodama
2011-11-07, 08:08
This appears to be a general issue with Windows Vista and Windows 7 networking. Try removing IPv6 from your network devices, in many cases this appears to be helping since most routers do not properly support IPv6, though it often works for some time.

kimboinatl
2011-11-07, 17:30
Thanks Yodama. I've removed IPv6 from my connections, I'll try it again when I get home.

kimboinatl
2011-11-08, 01:13
Yodama, that didn't seem to work. Also, I still see the same icon (shows the icon normally for being connected to the network at work as opposed to the wireless connection icon). The error I get from Firepass reads "Status: Network Access Connection Device was not found."

kimboinatl
2011-11-11, 23:06
I was able to fix part of the problem. My computer kept insisting that I was not connected to a network, even though I could connect to my wireless router and get on the Internet. The problem seemed to be some permission issues in the registry - I had to set the permissions on some registry keys. Now my computer recognizes that I'm connected to a network and which network I'm connected to. However, Firepass VPN is still not working. Is it possible that Spybot changed the permissions on some information in my registry?

FWIW, the information I used to (partially) fix my issue is here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/df17c593-e78f-4878-97b0-7569307934c5

kimboinatl
2011-11-17, 04:16
Found more issues. Remote Access Connection Manager was set to manual. F5's site says that this is needed by Firepass. I also opened up port 1723 in my firewall. I'm pretty sure this was open before (otherwise it wouldn't have worked before). VPN still isn't working, though.

Is there anything else I can check? Is it possible that Spybot was trying to plug up some holes in my firewall and tried to turn off some services that it thought might compromise my computer's security?