PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Cookies

hgb21654
2011-11-08, 21:00
I just downloaded Spybot and ran first scan. It found 4 threats and fixed them. I was pleased until I reopened MS Explorer and looked in the Temporary Internet Files folder after the Spybot scan. There remain 33 cookies! Always have had Explorer set to automatically delete Temporary Internet Files and Cookies when browser is closed. Obviously this doesn't work. Also, Norton 360 is running and a full scan using this failed to delete these cookies.

Today I manually deleted about 200 cookies. But the 33 that remain resist being deleted manually!! Some of these sound like adware, for example "adbrite.com" and "advertising.com". The main reason I downloaded Spybot was to try to get rid of those cookies.

What should I do differently?

Thanks.

Zenobia
2011-11-10, 06:56
You could try shredding the 33 remaining cookies with Secure Shredder.Open Spybot,click Mode->Advanced Mode->Tools->Secure Shredder.Select from Templates "Add Internet Explorer cookie files.",then click Chop it Away! to delete the files.

This page shows how to set up your browser to block third-party cookies,if you'd like to have a look. :)
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/37.html