PDA

View Full Version : New Virus ?? Monitor Power Cycling

Jet_powered
2011-11-13, 18:33
Hi All:

I'm new to this forum so please excuse any newb moves. I have what I think is a new virus or malware. Interenet searching comes up with nothing that looks similar.

The new wrinkle with this one is I received a call-center telephone call requesting I go to my computer and look at "My Computer" under "View System Information". I blew the guy off and went and did this afterwords and "wham", the monitor started flashing.

Here's the symptoms ;

- Monitor powers off and on in a set pattern over and over again
- Unconnected speakers have a pronounced "hum", even when the "cycling" is not occurring
- Connected headset has the same hum
- Does not go into standby mode, actually powers off
- Powering PC off and on does not correct the issue
- I goes away on it own and comes back on its own
- SD (both versions) takes 18 hours to run where is used to be ~10minutes.

Here's what I've done so far without success :

Ran SD version 1 (for 18hours) and found 20 issues, mostly keylogger and hitbox issues. Fixed and immunized all.

Downloaded and ran SD version 2 but didn't get any errors.

Checked for scheduled tasks to see if someone has created a "job", nothing found.

Searched for new *.BAT files and found nothing suspicious.

Checked in MSCONFIG for any new start tasks that look fishy, nothing stands out.

I'm recording the time it starts and stops to see if it happens at the same time every day or if its random.

Anyone have any more info on this nasty POS ?

tashi
2011-11-13, 18:50
Hello Jet_powered,

Someone could take a look at the system. :)

Please start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) and a volunteer analyst will advise when available.

First see that forum's FAQ which also includes instructions in post #2 on how to provide DDS logs, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.
"BEFORE You POST"(Please read this Procedure Before Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

If the DDS won't run please start a new topic there anyway and make note of the issue.

Best regards.

Jet_powered
2011-11-14, 18:45
Hi All :

Thanks for helping out, but I was able to fix the problem. It turns out that the "mystery" phone call and the monitor power cycling were two random events that just happened to occur at the same time.

I was able to correct the problem by replacing the power adapter, which confirms it was not a malware issue. Had I not received that call, I would never have even thought of it being malware related.

Thanks to Tashi for the newbie instructions.....and yes, I do have the files ready to go....

tashi
2011-11-14, 19:06
Cheers, thanks for letting us know. :bigthumb: