PDA

View Full Version : Spybot won't execute from scheduler - Win 7/64

Stephen Clark
2011-11-29, 03:04
Please refer to this thread:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=64435&goto=newpost

I am having trouble getting Spybot 1.6.2 to execute from a scheduler setting in advanced mode in Windows 7/64-bit. At first I thought it might be malware, but the machine, Kitty4, which is my wife's machine, is free of malware. Ken in the Malware forum suggested I post here.

I have an identical machine to my wife's on which Spybot executes from the scheduler perfectly. I don't know why it won't on her machine. I can only run it manually from the start menu on her machine. Why?

Thanks for your suggestions!:santa:

spybotsandra
2011-11-29, 12:03
Hello,

Did you open Spybot with a right click and choose "run as administrator/take ownership" (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/42.html)?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Stephen Clark
2011-11-29, 21:58
When I run it from the start menu, yes. The problem now is it does not execute on a schedule, such as 3:00PM every Tues, Thurs, Sun that I have set up in advanced mode/scheduler. It doesn't run at the specified day & time.

spybotsandra
2011-11-30, 11:34
Hello,

Did you enter a password?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Stephen Clark
2011-11-30, 14:39
No password is required on either machine, if that's what you mean.

drghughes
2011-12-01, 01:52
Have you tried setting up the scheduled task using the Task Scheduler (Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools)? If you're logged on as a user, you may want to run the Task Scheduler as administrator, depending on what you want to do.

I think that I had similar problems setting up scheduled tasks from the Spybot UI on my Windows 7 64 bit PC, but I had no problems getting them running using the Task Scheduler.

Stephen Clark
2011-12-01, 23:16
I examined the Task Scheduler settings, and changed the User from Stephen to Kitty, verified other settings and saved it yesterday. Today at 3:00PM it still did not appear to execute on either User. However I check the Spybot log files, and it did execute on time as scheduled. Why does it not show up on either User I am logged on to?

Stephen Clark
2011-12-07, 03:49
No Reply?

spybotsandra
2011-12-07, 10:50
Hello,

So does Kitty have admin rights and is not only a user?
I would recommend to try it with a password and see if that works.
If you do not have a password for the account yet, you can make one via the Windows control panel, below "user and passwords".

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Stephen Clark
2011-12-07, 20:19
Kitty is an administrator, and the task is scheduled with a password on her account.

spybotsandra
2011-12-08, 10:10
Hello,

Is the pc on, is it shut down, or is it in sleep mode?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Stephen Clark
2011-12-08, 23:00
PC is on, Kitty is logged on as admin, I am sitting there watching it at 3:00PM.
Nothing shows, and task manager does not show Spybot executing, but checking the Spybot log afterwards shows that it did execute. I would simply like to see it execute, like I can on my other machine.

spybotsandra
2011-12-09, 12:18
Hello,

Can you please paste the commando line parameter that you use for the scheduler? Thanks.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Stephen Clark
2011-12-09, 21:42
Here it is, copied directly from the Task Scheduler:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe /AUTOCHECK

It was created by Spybot. I have not altered it.

spybotsandra
2011-12-12, 12:08
Hello,

Thanks for checking.
We have tested this problem and can confirm it.
Maybe you can send us the job files from both pc's?
They should be stored under: C:\Windows\Tasks

This seems to be a Windows 7 issue.
When Spybot-S&D 1.6.2 has been released Windows 7 was not yet on the market.
So a fully compatible and Windows 7 certified version should be Spybot 2.0, but we have no release date yet.
But if you like you can test the Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2011-10-06.html).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Stephen Clark
2011-12-12, 22:38
That is what I suspected. I tried your Beta version but it is fraught with even more problems, all of which I reported, and none of which have been fixed. I am afraid you have lost a user from lack of proper and timely maintenance/upgrade procedures. I hope you are able to catch up in the near future, as I really liked the user interface on Spybot 2.0 Beta.

You may close this topic, thanks for the information.

doug1026
2013-12-13, 21:49
Hello,

Thanks for checking.
We have tested this problem and can confirm it.
Maybe you can send us the job files from both pc's?
They should be stored under: C:\Windows\Tasks

This seems to be a Windows 7 issue.
When Spybot-S&D 1.6.2 has been released Windows 7 was not yet on the market.
So a fully compatible and Windows 7 certified version should be Spybot 2.0, but we have no release date yet.
But if you like you can test the Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2011-10-06.html).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Interestingly enough, I have kind of the same problem. After searching the net found a suggestion to
change the compatibility to 'Run as Administrator'. I have a system at work and one at home, the one
at work appears to execute fine, but it is logged off and scheduled with a password, while one at home
is logged in by a user with admin privileges. After changing all the exe files and the shell to 'Run as
Administrator,' the system at home will update fine and wait to run. After I click to run off it goes.
I have added the password to both tasks (update and scan) even though I am logged in and will see
what happens.

Stephen Clark
2013-12-13, 22:48
Interestingly enough, I have kind of the same problem. After searching the net found a suggestion to
change the compatibility to 'Run as Administrator'. I have a system at work and one at home, the one
at work appears to execute fine, but it is logged off and scheduled with a password, while one at home
is logged in by a user with admin privileges. After changing all the exe files and the shell to 'Run as
Administrator,' the system at home will update fine and wait to run. After I click to run off it goes.
I have added the password to both tasks (update and scan) even though I am logged in and will see
what happens.

I had tried "run as administrator" and it did not work at the time. The latest version of Spybot (2.2 Free Edition) works fine on both my Windows 7 systems. I just execute it manually. If you are still having problems after upgrading, I suggest you let Safer Networking know. Thanks for your response!

doug1026
2013-12-23, 13:54
I tried a number things and I believe all helped some. The first thing that I needed to
do was Right Click on all exe programs located in the the Sypbot folder, located in
the Program Files folder under your bootable drive. In my case, it is C: Select Properties
Click on the Compatibility tab and check the Run as Administrator box at the
bottom.

Finally, Right Click on the Spybot folder. select Properties , then select the Security
tab. Hightlight the Adminstrator item in the upper box. Click edit and
place a check in the Full Control box. Then, exit. Mine ran just like it used to run
with the scheduler on XP.