PDA

View Full Version : My computer wont access certain websites suddenly!

pinkyminx
2012-01-27, 22:13
I really hope you can help, not sure where to turn. For the last month or so my laptop has refused to open certain website, including bbc.co.uk, tripadvisor.co.uk, hmrc.co.uk, and it wont let me pay for anything online. Also I can't connect to iTunes. I'm not very technically savvy so no idea how to correct this. I've fun a full Kapersky scan and 'no threats detected'. I tried rebooting my laptop to a backup from just over a month ago and those websites will then work for a few days, before it goes back again. Can anyone help?! Thanks in advance.

tashi
2012-01-27, 22:23
Hello pinkyminx,

Which browser/s do you use and what is the operating system.

Aside from Kaspersky do you have other security software installed?

Best regards, :)

pinkyminx
2012-01-27, 22:26
Hello, I'm using Windows 7 and usually use Internet Explorer but have also downloaded Chrome, in case it was just IE. I did have Spybot but I admit that in my frenzy of trying to work out what was changing my settings, I uninstalled it!! I thought maybe it had got a bit overzealous in the security settings or something. As I said, I'm afraid I'm a bit of a techno-retard....

tashi
2012-01-27, 22:32
Hi there,

Hello, I'm using Windows 7 and usually use Internet Explorer

Which version of Internet Explorer? :) You experience the same problems when using Chrome?

Do you use Win7's native firewall.

pinkyminx
2012-01-27, 23:00
Its Internet Explorer 9 and the exact same thing happens with Chrome. I'm assuming I do use Windows Firewall - I've never deactivated it. I'm the sort of person who buys a laptop, and starts using it. The only thing I did was buy Kaspersky. Other than that, all the settings are as they were when it was new.

tashi
2012-01-27, 23:40
Hello pinkyminx,

I'm assuming I do use Windows Firewall - I've never deactivated it. I'm the sort of person who buys a laptop, and starts using it. The only thing I did was buy Kaspersky.
Which version of Kaspersky, the anti virus program only or the Kaspersky Suite which includes a firewall.

Also this being a Win7 operating system please check to see if Microsoft Security Essentials (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials) is installed or not.

Start>Control Panel>Programs

pinkyminx
2012-01-27, 23:52
I've got the full Kaspersky suite with firewall, and I don't have Microsoft Security Essentials.

tashi
2012-01-28, 00:01
Hi

I'm assuming I do use Windows Firewall - I've never deactivated it. I'm the sort of person who buys a laptop, and starts using it. The only thing I did was buy Kaspersky. Other than that, all the settings are as they were when it was new.

I've got the full Kaspersky suite with firewall, and I don't have Microsoft Security Essentials.

Now please check to see if the Windows native firewall is turned on or off. If it is off please leave it that way. :)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-Windows-Firewall-on-or-off

pinkyminx
2012-01-28, 00:07
It was turned on. I've turned it off, but websites still not loading.

tashi
2012-01-28, 00:58
Hello pinkyminx,

It was turned on. I've turned it off,
Did you reboot?

FYI: Rule of thumb is one firewall/one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same file at the same time. :eek:

For the last month or so my laptop has refused to open certain website, including bbc.co.uk, tripadvisor.co.uk, hmrc.co.uk, and it wont let me pay for anything online. Also I can't connect to iTunes.
When did you install the new software?

pinkyminx
2012-01-29, 15:46
You know what, after a reboot it is actually working again! Hurrah! So relieved, it was driving me mad. Thanks so much, I guess it was the firewall.

tashi
2012-01-29, 16:05
Glad to hear the issue is resolved. :bigthumb:

yugals
2013-02-25, 03:54
I facing same problem. I turned off firewall but still some site ie Facebook, twitter and YouTube are not loading on my computer.

bbnetwork
2013-02-26, 12:57
I facing same problem. I turned off firewall but still some site ie Facebook, twitter and YouTube are not loading on my computer.

Which browser/s do you use and what is the operating system?
Which Security Software are you using? Also Kaspersky?