PDA

View Full Version : Now what do I do?

reedj66
2012-02-14, 16:59
I'll try to make this as brief and informative as possible.

My laptop (XP Pro OS) flashed a blue screen last week, crashed, and kept giving me BSOD message "0x00000024" when I tried to reboot. When I booted the system with my ERD 2005 disc, the OS wasn't found and the file system on the drive was "Raw". Crap.

I googled the BSOD error and saw that many users were able to fix the drive using the Recovery Console. I don't have XP Pro installation discs, but I DO have the operating system discs for my XP Media Center desktop. I was able to run the Recovery Console using the XP Media Center disc, run chkdsk /r, and the drive errors were fixed. Yay!

err, not so fast my friend. Turns out that since the system disc I used was for my XP Media Center pc and not the XP Pro laptop, the registry files aren't the same. Now I am stuck with a different BSOD (c00002 - can't locate SOFTWARE registry hive).

I don't have any restore points, so that option is out.

However, I DO have the backup registry files created by Spybot. Is there any way to restore the registry from the backup registry files created by Spybot?

If not, I also have access to another XP Pro machine that is nearly identical to my crashed laptop. Can I restore or repair the registry on the crashed drive using the registry from the working XP Pro machine?

Thanks in advance for any help.

tashi
2012-02-14, 18:01
Hello reedj66,

Sorry to hear of the problem, I suggest registering at "What The Tech" and starting a topic in the forum. Microsoft Windows™ (http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=119) :)

reedj66
2012-02-14, 18:33
Hello tashi,

Thanks for the advice - heading there now.

tashi
2012-02-14, 18:53
Good luck. :)