PDA

View Full Version : error # 10061

skoobie
2006-08-12, 15:05
I have never posted on any of these forums before so please excuse me when I screw up or post in the wrong place. The reason I am here is that I am very very frustrated with Dell. Last week my brand new Dell Inspiron E1705 just freaked on me and when I rebooted, all my services were disabled, I could not restart any of them and It has been the biggest pain in my but that I have ever gone through. I told Dell I would not make another payment until they replaced my computer. I must say that it appears I was wrong, I thought their new machines with the Duo Core processors had issues with Norton.

It appears, however, that I have been bit by a worm or something. I noticed in Spybot Start Items there was a blank line referenced to Agobot. I have searched high and low for info on the removal of this and I seem to be at a quagmire due to circumstances. Everything I attempt to do is thwarted by
a) error # 10061 prevents me from updating spybot, I was in the process of uninstalling Norton programs when the crap hit and now I cannot uninstall, repair, update or delete, Norton AV or Norton IS. I did delete the blank line from my startup but I am very concerned about not being able to uninstall norton or reinstall and update AVG, or any other AV program.

Other points of interest in my saga this week...everytime the machine boots, whether, cold or warm, there is an svchost.exe error that comes up stating "The instruction at "0x7c918fea" referenced memory at "0x00000010". The Memory could not be "written".

This is about to drive me crazy and I would be so grateful if anyone can help me out here. I am almost resolved to the fact that I will probably have to reinstall Windows and everything else, I have loaded the clothes, food, etc. to get me through the next week.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

md usa spybot fan
2006-08-12, 16:20
Normally a failure to connect during and attempt to "Search for Updates" is accompanied by a message in the following format:
Error retrieving update info file!
Socket Error # nnnnn
Were nnnnn is the code of the Socket Error that was encountered:
Windows Sockets Error Codes (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winsock/winsock/windows_sockets_error_codes_2.asp)
Socket Error # 10061 indicates:
Connection refused.
No connection could be made because the target computer actively refused it. This usually results from trying to connect to a service that is inactive on the foreign host???that is, one with no server application running.
Primary causes of Socket Errors are firewalls and proxy servers.

Do you have a firewall? If you have a firewall:
You must authorize SpybotSD.exe to access the internet through your firewall. If you have a firewall and are not sure if that is the cause of the problem, you could (for a short period) disable the firewall and see if the updates work properly.
Are you sitting behind a proxy server? If you are sitting behind a proxy server:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings. About 2/3 of the way down the option tree there is a category "Web update'. Check the last item in the list "Use proxy to connect to update server". A pop-up will come up were you can enter the information required.

If you are sitting behind a proxy server and need to know what the settings should be, there are hints in the following article on how to find them:
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
The integrated update is not working. Are there any solutions for this?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/10.html

skoobie
2006-08-12, 16:43
Hey thanks for the quick response. I'll bet you feel like a broken record, eh? Or do you have scripts written to auto reply this info out. I saw you replies to other posts with regards to this issue and the reason I have posted is that I have no firewall. Well I used to with NIS. As I mentioned, I tried to uninstall this app as well as NAV but the system freaked on me and did not complete the process. I cannot reinstall because Norton recognized the folders already exist and want them deleted first...which I cannot do either. This is where I caught between a rock and hard spot. This also is what let me to the worm Agobot. I was thinking that this somehow blocked the ports for Internet explorer because I can access the internet with Firefox no problems at all. But IE will not even go to my home page, and I cannot access the Internet Options from IE either. That is why it seems indicative to specific ports and maybe some worm or trojan or some thing.

The system is getting a little better...I was able to start my services after about 2 days of them not allowing anything to take place. I kept getting a message that a dependency service was not running, but I was not allowed to start even one service in the msi. So anyway, at least I now was able to start services including the installer service, but I still cannot uninstall or reinstall norton apps on my machine.

what do you think?

skoobie
2006-08-12, 16:44
Also....I have no proxy server that would come into play either.

bitman
2006-08-12, 17:24
How long have you had this PC? If, as it sounds, for a relatively short time, you'd probably be better off reformatting and reinstalling Windows etc.

The reason I say this is that you've now not only possibly got malware, but a fouled up Norton installation, which is infamous as difficult to remove. Since everything you do in the future will be built on what's already in place, building on problems will simply create more of the same.

The point is, you can spend your time trying to fix the mess you've got, or start over using what you've learned to install the right things in the first place, before using the PC to access any risky unknown web sites. Make sure you fully patch the operating system and install all protection software before doing any regular browsing.

Though your current state may be able to be fixed, it's likely to take at least as long and you'll never really know if you've 'fixed' everything, until something goes wrong down the road. If you know how to reinstall Windows and your software, you will know what you've got when you finish.

Bitman

skoobie
2006-08-12, 17:29
Good Point bitman. Good grief Charlie Brown....why haven't I switched to MAC yet? I despise Dell, I despise Norton...

Thanks for your input.