PDA

View Full Version : Immunization Incomplete (different problem)

awa413
2012-04-29, 00:37
So I try and immunize and get the error Immunization Incomplete. It says that "other security software on my computer might not look close enough at the immunization changes ..." ---- you know the window right?

Well here's the kicker - I don't have ANY anti-virus program installed on my computer or variants or reminants. So, what gives?

spybotsandra
2012-04-30, 13:42
Hello,

Which windows version do you have?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

awa413
2012-04-30, 17:25
Hello,

Which windows version do you have?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Windows XP MCE, SP3

spybotsandra
2012-05-02, 12:08
Hello,

Which browser and browser version do you use exactly?
Which items are not immunized exactly?
Did you close the browser while immunizing?
Did you try to undo the immunization and then immunize again?
Have you also used the "Check again" function from the menu bar above?
If that does not help please also try to click a second time on the immunization tab.
Sometimes all items get immunized by the second run.
Are you logged in as admin or as user with admin rights?
Do you have other user accounts on your pc?

Could you please post a screenshot of the immunization page?
Thanks. :)

Also have a look at this link (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36272) in our forum.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

awa413
2012-05-03, 10:03
Hello,

Which browser and browser version do you use exactly?
Which items are not immunized exactly?
Did you close the browser while immunizing?
Did you try to undo the immunization and then immunize again?
Have you also used the "Check again" function from the menu bar above?
If that does not help please also try to click a second time on the immunization tab.
Sometimes all items get immunized by the second run.
Are you logged in as admin or as user with admin rights?
Do you have other user accounts on your pc?

Could you please post a screenshot of the immunization page?
Thanks. :)

Also have a look at this link (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36272) in our forum.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Internet Explorer 8
Yes, I closed the browser window while immunizing
Undoing and redoing immunization procedure produced the same results
Tried immunizing more than once
Yes, logged in with Admin rights
No other user accounts on PC
That link you posted is useless to me and nothing there applies to my specific situation

Screenshot posted

Thanks.

spybotsandra
2012-05-03, 11:12
Hello,

Seems like you did not activate the checkbox on front of "Global (Hosts)".
What happens if you activate it by ticking it and then immunize?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

awa413
2012-05-03, 14:20
Of course not. If I activate Global hosts, I will then have duplicate entries since IE8 places the same bad sites in Windows Hosts file, and IE8 will take even longer to load. There's no need for it if the hosts are being used by another provider. If you look in the Internet Explorer\Software\Domains (above the Global Hosts listing in the S&D window I sent), you can see that it is the same number of domains as the global hosts file (and the same files). No need for duplicates - and how does checking or unchecking that box relate to the immunization error I am receiving, referring to anti-virus protection/programs?

I've used S&D for years with the same settings and never once got this error - AND I had anti-virus protection installed and running at the time...

spybotsandra
2012-05-03, 14:40
Hello,

Then you gave the answer to yourself why you get that error.
That are exactly the not immunized Hosts files which you can see by the number 15237 besides it.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Gopher John
2012-05-04, 15:33
@awa413

See Internet Explorer 8 issues (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2009-03-25.html)

Various reports from the Internet and from our own testing seem to indicate that there is a problem between Internet Explorer 8 and the immunization feature of Spybot - Search & Destroy causing a slow startup of IE 8.

Solution at bottom.

Update: Microsoft finally released a fix for this issue. The update has been released on June 9th. If you experienced problems with IE8 and Spybot's immunization, please download the update "KB969897" via the Windows updates or download your copy directly at Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969897).

If your XP is fully updated, it should already have this update, but make sure.

Zenobia
2012-05-04, 22:20
Of course not. If I activate Global hosts, I will then have duplicate entries since IE8 places the same bad sites in Windows Hosts file, and IE8 will take even longer to load.
I don't understand.Maybe I'm not getting your meaning by your post,but I've never known for IE8 to add bad entries to the Hosts file.

Gopher John
2012-05-05, 01:57
I don't understand.Maybe I'm not getting your meaning by your post,but I've never known for IE8 to add bad entries to the Hosts file.

It's not about bad or duplicate entries. I was referring to awa413's mentioning that adding hosts file entries causes IE8 to take a long time to open. It was a known problem with large hosts file that KB969897 (circa April 2009) addressed. If that update is missing in XP, the problem would still manifest itself.

Zenobia
2012-05-05, 20:30
I didn't mean anything about your post,Gopher John,which was why I was quoting part of awa413's post,thinking it would show who I was asking. :)

I was just quickly reading through here,and saw the statement about IE8 adding bad entries into the hosts file and adding Spybot's hosts file would cause double entries,and since I was in a hurry,I wanted to make it clear I might have misinterpreted the post,but I have never known for anything from Microsoft,Windows,etc,to physically add entries to the hosts file with the 127.0.0.1 loopback address,like Spybot does.

Gopher John
2012-05-05, 21:24
@Zenobia,

I agree. It's always third party software that adds to the hosts file, or the individual user.

About my first response to you, I did jump off the rail thinking you were addressing me.:red:

Zenobia
2012-05-06, 02:33
No problem,it happens. :bigthumb: